1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy Disk Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by avalis, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avalis

avalis Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

Ever since I began using Windows XP, I am not able to access the "A" Drive. I inserted a floppy disk into this drive today and a message came up saying "A: is not accessible. No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk. What does this mean and how can I access this drive?

Thank you very much.

Avis :confused:

2. vtel57

vtel57

Right click on My Computer -- Properties -- Device Manager -- look for "floppy drive controllers" and "floppy disks". Click on the little + signs and see if your system is recognizing your floppy as being installed. Right click on each of these and click "properties" for diagnostics.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The Microsoft suggestion is:

"This is a new problem with some preformatted floppy disks. It is caused by the manufacturers format process. Every disk contains a 'media descriptor byte' which is a small piece on information that identifies the size of the disk to Windows. In the case of these disks the information is missing. Windows 98 does not look for it when reading the disk but Windows NT/2000/XP does. As a result NT/2000/XP reports an error with the disk. The solution is to reformat the disk again (full format)"

But it could also be caused by a mis-aligned drive.

4. avalis

avalis Thread Starter

Hello,

I tried re-formatting the floppy but received a message that windows could not complete the format. I guess the thing is to buy an unformatted floppy and see if this works, right?

Thank you.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Where would you buy an unformatted floppy?

Perhaps if the date was 1990 you might find one!

You need to consider that you may have a mis-aligned drive. Replacement would be required.

6. avalis

avalis Thread Starter

At my college bookstore last week I was given the choice of buying an unformatted versus formatted floppy. They do exist even now.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Amazing.

However if it will not format one now, its unlikely to be better on an unformatted disk.

8. avalis

avalis Thread Starter

I'm sure you're right. The drive is probably mis-aligned, is it very difficult to align it? I just started a computerized accounting class and need drive A to save my work. I'll probably just use drive D instead. By the way, I also tried the other suggestions about checking that all is working properly and no problems were mentioned.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

9. kalisada

kalisada

helllo... i was having the SAME problem, ticked off that i went through more than enough trouble getting my resume from one place south of where i live, onto a floppy, and back home.. only to find that error msg!!!

HOWEVER I FIXED IT MYSELF IN MINUTES, to my disbelief and satisfaction!! I hope you can spread the word that this works so more people can find a solution to this problem (i googled my way here so someone should too).

I have windows XP. What i did was, right clicked MY COMPUTER, properties. Then HARDWARE then DEVICE MANAGER. I played around trying to update etc, nothing worked. SO, what i did was DISABLED the drive, it dissappeared from the drives in "my computer". I Re-enabled it, and then tried opening the drive/disk again and... VOILA! It asked me if i wanted to format the disk because it was formatted.. i clicked no and it opened it up! No error msg this time. Was able to retrieve my resume, and now i can email it adn get that job for Dell Customer Service ;]!

10. avalis

avalis Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestion, but I tried it and it did not work with my computer. Some time back, I bought a removable floppy drive, it was fairly affordable and has saved me a lot of headaches!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice