1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy disk need formatting again...and again...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nigelum, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

I have battled this problem for some time and now it's come to a head. When I try to transfer data of any kind via 3.5 floppy from one system to the next, I will get a message from the destination computer that the disk is not formatted. I know for a fact that it has been done and I can't believe that half of the floppies that I have need to go through the process. When I format the disk on the destination system and take it back to the source computer, I get the same message...VERY MADDING!!!

I know that floppies will become an antiquated technology, and I'll welcome it, but, for now, I need to correct this problem...HELP!!! :confused:

2. Training

Training

First, verify the drives in both computers are working properly by getting a disk made elsewhere and make sure it reads properly. If it doesn't then you may need to get a new drive for one of the computers.

Next, look at the operating systems on the two computers. There is a known issue when working with Windows 95 and Windows 2000. Formating a disk on a windows 95 machine and trying to run it on windows 2000 can result in a number of errors including the format error your getting. Try formatting the disk on the other machine, then running it on the machine you were formatting it on before.

If this doesn't work you may need to get the same operating system on both machines or at least get compatible operating systems on both machines. I'm pretty sure Windows 2000 and Windows Xp formatted disks are interchangable.

3. Nigelum

Nigelum Thread Starter

Oddly enough, both of the machines in question run the NT file system...one is 2000 and the other is XP Pro. I have had this problem with other computers as well, but I'll check into the drive situation.

Keep the tips comming...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!