1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy disk not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nongeekette, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nongeekette

nongeekette Thread Starter

I have reinstalled floppy disk drive and I still have no light or sound. You are talking to a noncomputer person. I orginally bought the computer to surf and now I want start playing with it. I have windows 2000.

I would like to copy some programs and I can't get the floppy disk A to work. What do I do next? If I purchase a new computer, I need certain files and programs without having to repurchase.

I even thought I might be doing things wrong. Having never used the floppy this was my first time. When I click on send to I get a message saying insert floppy in to drive A with a cancel prompt in the right lower corner. When I put the disk in that nothing happens. The light does not come on nor do I hear any sound. :(
    What to do next?

Thanks for any answers.

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Sounds like your floppy drive is not working go to device manager and see if you can see it in there ....

You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager....

See if there are any ! exclamation marks ....

Floppy drives are becoming obsolete most new computer now dont even have one .......

3. nongeekette

Yes, my computer is old. I am setting up a new one for work but not without copying programs. I did as you said to Telecom but I see no exclamation point and it says that it is working. The technician from Gateway installed the drive remotely from their support site but I still don't have a light or sound when I try to copy. What is the next thing to rule out?

I am so frustrated because I have huge word expander file that I need for work with over 7K entries and I cannot copy. :mad:

4. telecom69

I can only suggest you read this site from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q131690/

I take it you have tried more than one disk?

Maybe the floppy has just given up the ghost ? a new one nowadays would cost very little due to their pending obsolescence ......

5. nongeekette

Thank you for your reply Telecom. I did try several different disks but they were from the same pack. One of the disks worked fine a new computer I am setting up for work. When I rebooted the computer after I got the new drive, it said it detected new hardware. I am going to have to call the Gateway support people and not lose any more sleep over this. It is almost 2:00 a.m. EST and I have decided I don't like computers or computers don't like nongeekette ladies who just want to work and play don't want to have these pesky problems.

6. nongeekette

If I can't copy to a disk is there any other way to copy programs and files to put them onto another computer? :eek:

7. telecom69

I can well understand your frustation over this ....if the light is not coming on there is a problem probably on one of the connections inside the computer,because its not getting any power .....there are other ways you can copy them to a cd but for that you would have to have a cd re-writer on your computer ...from what you are saying its a new floppy drive but of course that doesnt mean anything really it could still be faulty,did you install it yourself?

What is the make of the drive?

Did you have a disk with it for installing?

8. nongeekette

I was thinking that also. I was afraid to open the computer and mess with the wires and I was too tired to this. This morning I am braver and will at least see if the wires are connected. I recently moved the computer to another desk and it may have gotten jostled. The only other thing I can think of was I read the microsoft info sheet and it said sometimes COM ports can interfere with drivers. I do have a new COM port. I think at this point it is a process of elimination. Thanks so much for your help. I will keep posting until I get this resolved. A great site to come to!!!

9. telecom69

I shall be interested to see how you get on,the connections may just want pressing home a bit tighter,I wish you luck and hope it fixes it .....

10. myluvnttl

myluvnttl

Try turning the power cable around, like do a 180.

11. telecom69

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!