1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy disk(s) fail (80)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AkumaKawa, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

Computer Specs:
    Desktop PC
    2005 HP Pavilion a154on
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200
    2048MB Ram 250 Gigs
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics
    Windows XP SP2

IE 7, FireFox 2.0, Oprea 9.01
    Windows Live
    AVG Anti-Virus 7.5.503
    AVG Anti-SpyWare 7.5

I bought my computer in August of 2006 and in December of that year I was moving, my computer has since been inactive. For nearly a year it sat unused.

A few days ago I finally was able to set up my computer and I have since been busy updating just about everything.

My problem is this; every since I set it up I keep getting this error during the booting process of the computer:

Copyright (c) 1984-2006, Phoenix Technologies, LTD

Copyright 2006 by Hewlett-Packard Company
    Rev. 3.07
    Main Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    Memory Testing : 2030592K OK + 64M shared memory

CPU L2 Cache Size : 512K x2
    System BIOS shadow status : Shadowed
    System VIDEO BIOS shadow status : Shadowed
    UMB upper limit segment address : F000H
    PS/2 Mouse initialization status : Plugged
    First Channel Device 0 : None
    First Channel Device 1 : None
    Second Channel Device 0 : TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H552L 0614
    Second Channel Device 1 : None

Floppy disk(s) fail (80)

Press <F1> for Setup , <F2> to Continue

08/02/2006-C51/MCP51-A8M2N-LA-00

Once I hit F2 the computer finishes booting and I run it just fine. My problem is that I HAVE to hit F2 every time I reboot or boot my computer. This error message shows up every single time.

Thinking back I think I so this error message the day I packed up my computer too.

Once my Free AVG AntiVirus software was updated I ran it. I had two viruses. I was able to quaratine one of the viruses, the other was, I think, an exact copy of the quaratine one. I re-ran the scan and the other one popped up again, it didn't get quaratined so since it was in my temp folder I ran disk clean-up and cleared that out. When I re-ran the scan, it did not show up again.

This is what is in my Virus Vault.

Virus name: Virus found JS/Downloader Agent
    Path: C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\9F3YSDSS\402849.myshoutbox[1]
    Date of detection: 11/30/2007 5:34:42AM
    Filename: 402849.myshoutbox[1]
    File size: 4.17kb

Virus name: Trojan horse Flooder.AKE
    Path: D:\MiniNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    Date of detection: 12/7/2006 8:50:46AM
    File name: winlogon.exe
    File size: 420kb

Virus name: Trojan horse Flooder.AKE
    Path: D:\I386\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
    Date of detection: 12:/7/2006 8:50:46AM
    File name: winlogon.exe
    File size: 420kb

I don't know what to do. I've been debating taking my pc in to get fixed since I'm worried this might be a bigger problem then I think it is. I've scoured the net searching for any answer or solution to what this might be. But I haven't seen any thing that describes this problem.

Do I need to provide more information or is this enough?
    Is my computer infected with something?
    Did it corrupt something?
    Is this this a hardware or software problem?
    How exactly can I fix this?
    Do I need to take my pc in to be fixed?
    It's still under warranty but that covers hardware, not software problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. The Hound

The Hound

Welcome to TSG... CMOS batteries can go dead if a machine sits unplugged for an extended period--you mention not using it for year...was the machine plugged in?

If you've moved the machine, you should check the floppy cable-if you even have a floppy drive...do tell...

3. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

Nope, it was unplugged.

And to my knowledge I do not have a floppy drive.

I also said that before I moved I noticed an odd error message. Thinking back on it, I think it was the same error that I have been seeing.

4. The Hound

The Hound

You might go into the BIOS-sometimes referred to as entering Setup (usually by pressing F1 right after the HP boot screen) and disabling Floppy Drive Seek-it's tough to give you the exact steps, as there are many different versions of BIOS.
    If you find that the System Date and Time are off in the BIOS, and don't hold correctly if you reset them, that you may need to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard--they're usually less than five bucks at any store that sells electronics or watch batteries.

How many hard drives in your machine, and how are your hard drives configured?

5. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

I've looked at the BIOS screen, but I'm worried about messing with anything. And I'm not too sure I saw anything related to a floppy drive there.

er... I think I have two drives. C and D. I use C mainly and have D as a back-up system restore...I think.

And how do you mean, "how are they configured?"

6. Gnomad

Gnomad

When you are in the BIOS, check for "BOOT ORDER" or something along those lines. Make sure that Floppy Drive is not first or not selected in the Boot order. It is not that easy to change anything in the BIOS accidentally, if you have think that you have accidentally changed something just select "Don't save changes on exit".

7. Gnomad

Gnomad

Is this what your BIOS looks like? HP BIOS

8. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

I just rechecked my BIOS menu, since it was a few days since I've seen it.

My BIOS menu is near exact to the first example.

And for some reason it IS showing that I have a Floppy Diskette A [1.44MB 3.5']

So all I need to do is change that to [Not Installed] and this should fix my problem?

Btw, What would cause my BIOS menu to be changed like this?

9. Gnomad

Gnomad

Yeah, that should fix your problem, if it doesn't check to make sure Floppy Disk is not enabled in the Boot order.
    When your computer sat for a while the CMOS battery died. When it died your BIOS reverted back to he Default Configuraton. The CMOS battery is what keeps enough power to the BIOS to retain the changes that you make.That is why you need to replace that battery, or the every time that you turn off your computer your BIOS settings will revert back to the default settings.

10. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

That fixed it.

But what I'm curious about is that I started to have this problem before I moved.

Does that mean it was my battery or something else?
    And how exactly do I replace my battery?

11. The Hound

The Hound

The battery should be found near the corner of the motheroard. Touch the metal part of the case to discharge static from you body, pull back the little retaining clip, and get a new one from Radio [email protected]#$k or another electronics store-it won't cost much-probabaly five bucks or less.

Attached Files:

12. The Hound

The Hound

13. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

I haven't opened up a computer before...

Would it be better to take it in to Best Buy or some place and have the battery replaced that way?

14. AkumaKawa

AkumaKawa Thread Starter

I thought it an O but it could be a zero.

15. The Hound

The Hound

Your honesty is refreshing...

I wonder if that's a warranty fix? Batteries are indeed hardware, and you shouldn't have to learn your way around on a machine that's covered. Did you buy it at Best Buy?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice