1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy Diskette Seek Failure at start up !

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tedonzong, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tedonzong

Tedonzong Thread Starter

Dell XPS 400 Desktop with Pentium D processor with Windows XP media edition
    When I reboot it it gives me the error " Floppy Diskette seek failure"
    This computer does not come with a floppy disk and I have changed the boot sequence to start from the Hard drive in "O".
    How do I eliminate this message?

Additionally it lists other places where the it did not find drives
    Drive not found -serial ATA drive 1
    drive 2
    same drive 3

Then it states
    Strike the F1 key to continue, the F2 for setup utility

However, when I strike the F1 key the computer boots up.

I do not want to go through this ; what do I do?

What are *Tags* (As seen below my posting)

2. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

Tags are keywords you can enter to make this post easier to find using search functions and search engines like google.

Generally speaking when you have a computer prompting you to Press F1 to load defaults, F2 to enter setup on boot it means that the cmos retention battery on the motherboard (shiny coinlike thing with number 2034 of 2072 on it) is dead . This battery provides power to the CMOS memory which retains user changeable BIOS configuration data and run the clock when the computer is powered down. With internet time sync people no longer notice that the clock is running slow (the first sign that the battery is dieing) and see nothing until the computer forgets all the bios configuration data . Then it either cannot find the hard drive or defaults to a setting which may list things like a floppy drive in boot order which are not there.

The solution is to unplug the computer and open the case. Locate the battery and note the number and go to the store and buy a new one (walmart, grocery store, home depot, electronics store, radio shack) good price is about a dollar, really overcharging is about five. Still cheap at the price.
    Bring it home, open the blister pack , pop out the old battery and pop in the new.
    Close up , plug in and on boot press F2 to enter bios setup.
    The first thing is to choose to load optimal defaults. This will do what pressing F1 would do , and ninety percent of the settings will be correct.
    You should still do a little follow up; like checking that your hard drive is set as first boot option and that it is set as auto defined and then click the auto detect drives.
    There should be a place to disable floppy seek, and a place where you can designate floppy A and floppy B and you set both to NONE.
    Generally then you just click save settings and exit and it reboots and you do not have to worry again for several years.

Many guides exist to configuring your bios
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=configure+bios&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=
    you may want to do such things as adjust the VRAM if you have onboard video and the video aperture in both onboard and AGP/PCI-e card setups; but that is later after you get this problem solved.

3. Tedonzong

Tedonzong Thread Starter

Thanks for your contribution I will try your solution

4. Tedonzong

Tedonzong Thread Starter

thank you again

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice