1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy disks can't be formatted?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heatherew, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

I am trying to view the contents of some of my floppy disks, and on some of them I get a message saying "disk is not formatted", and when I try to format it, I get "disk cannot be formatted'. Needless to say, I can't view the contents of the disks. Does anyone know what is going on?

2. mobo

mobo

Try another disk. They don't last very long and can be damaged very easily...

3. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

Thanks, Charlie!

4. suesman

suesman

Are you using NTFS instead of FAT32? I was under the impression that "floppies" couldnt be formated under NTFS.

5. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

The only option that it gave me was FAT, although to be honest I have no idea what that stands for. What is NTFS?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Try reading the floppys in a different computer and see if they will format there. Your floppy drive could be going bad or be dirty. If the disks were created on a different computer the tracks may not line up causing the unformatted error to occur. But good disks should still be able to be formatted if your drive is OK.

7. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

Thanks, Lurker1. Some of my floppy disks are working fine, but some say they need to be formatted. Just out of curiousity, if the disk and the disk drive are working fine, what exactly happens when you format the disk?

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

9. heatherew

heatherew Thread Starter

Thanks. I just remembered that the disks originally were used with a friend's digital camera, the kind where you just insert the disk, take the pictures, and then remove the disk and your pictures are all stored on the disk. I guess that this means that the disks are just damaged and ready for the trash can?

10. Lurker1

Lurker1

Could be. If there are several disks involved you may want to try formatting them on a different computer. If they still fail there I would toss them out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!