1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy does not read discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gingernot, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gingernot

gingernot Thread Starter

Hi there.
    Bit of a newbie, so go easy on me....
    I've just been given a new(ish) PC running win server 2003, but for various reasons would like to install win 2000. Server 2003 won't allow this as it's a newer version, so I've been trying to boot with a floppy (then run 2000) to bypass win 2003. However, PC boots straight to 2003.
    Floppy drive doesn't seem to be able to read discs!
    Device manager states device is working properly, but the same error message keeps on reappearing:

A:\ is not available
    No ID address mark was found on the floppy disc.

I have tried swapping floppy drives, flipping cable, checking BIOS to no avail. I even tried formatting discs but am told they are write protected when they are not.
    I can't even run killdisc to wipe the C drive!
    Am going slightly crazy trying to figure this one out and would appreciate any useful help or advice.
    Thanks

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning gingernot, firstly you need to establish that the ploppy drive can be made to work.
    Ensure the BIOS is set for floppy 1.4 and that the boot order has the floppy before the HDD.

In windows check using different disks to ensure you can write / read format and have normal operation.
    It is common to find disks are dead or won't work ptoperly.

If this condition can not be obtained ensure the floppy runs and the LED extinguishes on the drive.

If no joy try another floppy cable, ensure drive LED extinguishes, if not, invert ribbon cable connector at floppy.

Check media you are using is bootable in another machine.
    A really useful bootable tool is the Madboot Floppy.
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/345398
    It has everything you might need.
    Cheers, qldit.

3. gingernot

gingernot Thread Starter

Thanks very much.
    Checked all the above - managed to format two previously readable discs so can now go ahead and boot - I hope....
    Cheers

4. qldit

qldit

Sounds promising, many new disks these days have problems due to low usage.
    They often need formatting several times.
    Use a format in DOS it gives a bad sector count.
    qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice