1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy Drive A Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by toujours, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

Hi,

My Drive A lights up and appears to begin working without my even coming near the computer. It's as though it's searching for/opening a file in a floppy disk that's not even in the drive! Someone suggested I disable the Virus Scan because it could be the culprit, but try as I might, I don't know how to do this. I went to the Virus Scan Configuration, but I saw nothing there about disabling the scan. Once before I sent it to the Recycle Bin to disable it, but I don't want to keep doing this for fear I may end up deleting it permanently by accident.

Thanks.:(

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Is this problem on a WinME computer?
    What kind of AntiVirus do you use?

3. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

It's Windows 98 SE. The virus program is McAffee and it came with the computer software when it was bought. The problem with the A drive just started recently and I've had the computer for about 2-3 years. I also did a Registry Editor search, but no problems were found with the A drive.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

Have you loaded any new software? Make sure your anti-virus is up to date and do a full scan on the drive. Also, you might check via Ctrl-Alt-Del as to what is running in the backround when you notice the A drive working. I suspect something is running and wanting to access that drive or you may have gotten a "worm".

5. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

Thank you for all your suggestions. The only software I've installed is a Microsoft Office Suite 2000 CD, I bought it in an auction in Yahoo, but it was fully wrapped and brand new.

As for the virus scan, I'm not sure I've got it updated, I'll look into it. Also, I think it only scans for C, or Hard Disk, not A. I'll see if I can get it programmed to scan A as well.

I'll also try the control> alt> delete next time it happens and see what's going on there.

Thanks again!!!

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

No need to scan the A drive. Scan the C drive. I believe I have seen some virus' cause wierd behavour and one of this was random A drive usage. Still, unless your motherboard or the A drive itself is going bad (which I doubt) something, a program, maybe spyware, but something is making Windows access the A drive.

7. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

I wonder why it was recommended that I disable the virus scan at all? Also, how does one do this? I've looked all over in the virus scan settings, but I don't see a way to do this. Also, it was mentioned that perhaps an application I once used had gotten lodged into the drive or something and it had never forgotten it and this is what it was searching/activating drive A.

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

Sometimes A/V programs can be set to scan all of your drives. Like the C (hard drive) and the A drive and in my case the E Zip drive. I use eTrust (formally InoculateIT) as an anti-virus program and the only thing I can disable concerning the floppy drive is the "real time protection" feature. I doubt that if your A/V has this same feature it would cure your problem by disabling this. In fact, you shouldn't disable your A/V at all unless you are installing software. On the other hand, if your A/V has become corrupted, it's a software porgram like everything else, it may indeed be random checking your floppy, hence the advice to "turn it off" and see if your A drive still acts "spooky" You should be able to RIGHT click on the icon in the system tray and maybe there is a disable option. Otherwise, open your A/V program and look for the disable feature in the Options menu. I don't think your A/V is causing your problem. I have heard of MS FindFast running in the backround doing strange things and if this program is running your should at least disable it via the Control Panel/FindFast Icon and see. Like you posted, maybe some software program you used and un-installed left a setting in FindFast to check your A drive X amount of minutes. I know, this is a reach but a lot of people don't even know they have MS FindFast running when you really don't need it on a stand alone home PC. To sum up, look very closely at your A/V program, there must be a disable feature. You could check out McAfee at their web site and look up your version. That should tell you the ins and outs of your A/V.

By the way, did you do a full virus scan of your hard drive?
    Can you post what is running at startup?
    START/Run type: msconfig click OK then the Startup Tab

9. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

Hi Emtronics,

I read your last message carefully and this is what I found out:

First, I have an obsolete McAfee Virus Scan and have been told to upgrade (not even an update is possible anymore due to the age of my scan - 3.1.6), so I don't see how it might be activating Drive A, but I suppose anything is possible.

Second, I ran the Control > Alt > Del to see what program/application was running whenever Drive A acted up and the only thing I saw was MSN Internet Quick View. I don't even know what in heaven's name this is, nor knew it was in my pc. I don't know if it comes with or is part of IE 5.0, my browser, or what. My ISP is Prodigy, not MSN. Anyway, I went to Start > Run > typed msconfig and saw a bunch of programs that I'll be happy to list, if you want me to. However, I also saw MSN Internet Quick View and I UNCHECKED it to see if it makes any difference. Do I need this program/application? Hopefully not.

Last, I ran a free online scan of my system this morning to see if all of this might be due to a virus. No viruses were detected by the scan.

This is pretty much it. Thanks for any additional information you can give me.

Toujours

10. Emtronics

Emtronics

toujours You don't need MSN Internet Qucikview running. Did unchecking it stop the A drive? Be careful what you uncheck in MSCONFIG. If you could list what you have there, it would be helpful. To do this easily: START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/System Tools/System Information. When that opens on the left side click the + by Software Envirorment and highlight the Startup Programs. Then in the little menus above select "Edit" then "Select all" then "Copy" Then come back here and paste this into your post. If you download MSN Instant Messenger, then that's where you probably got MSN Internet Quickview. (My guess)

11. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

Hi again Emtronics,

Below is the information you told me to get, pasted. As for the MSN Internet Quick View, yes, I do have Messenger, but it's Yahoo Messenger.

Also, since my A drive doesn't act up all of the time or consistently, it's too early to tell if unchecking MSN Internet Quick View made any difference. I'll be monitoring the situation in the next couple of days and see if Drive A still acts up.

Thank you again for your help.

Toujours

Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe"
    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    Webshots Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Webshots\WebshotsTray.exe"
    MoneyAgent Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    EzAudioTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\EZAUDIO.EXE TRAYAPP
    LexmarkPrinTray Registry (Machine Run) PrinTray.exe
    VsecomrEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\PLUS!\Viruscan\VSECOMR.EXE
    internat.exe Registry (Machine Run) internat.exe
    PiDunHk Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\PRODINET\BIN\PIDUNHK.EXE"
    CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    ConMgr.exe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK 5.0\CONMGR.EXE"
    UpdateMgr.exe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK 5.0\UPDATEMGR.EXE" /NOCM
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\PLUS!\VIRUSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    3Cmlink Registry (Machine Service) c:\windows\SYSTEM\3cmlnkW.exe
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\PLUS!\VIRUSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE

12. Emtronics

Emtronics

Hello again, You have a lot of programs starting when Windows does. I don't see anything in you list that might cause your floppy to activate though. I am wondering about the Earthlink stuff there as I can see Prodigy. Is Prodigy via Earthlink? or Did you have Earthlink at one time? The MSOffice listings can be disabled but some people like the Office bar. Just something to suck up resources. Same with Web shots, but then again, some people like a different Desktop to change from time to time. Another resource hole. Do you use MSMoney? If not, that can be disabled. Anytime you need MSMoney, you can just start it via the START Menu or a shortcut icon. The rest of the list pertains to your printer, anti-virus, modem, registry backup, and your Prodigy Internet. (among other things) The list looks normal except I don't understand the "intranet" one but that doesn't make it a "bad" entry. :) I am doing a little research into your problem with a real sharp tech I work with as I don't know everything. :D
    We saw this A drive access thing with a computer awhile ago only the O/S was WinME. I didn't work the problem, but my friend did and I am trying to recall what he found that was doing it. Hang in there....

13. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help and insight. I've lived with the drive A doing strange things for a couple of months now, so it's no problem at all to wait a little time longer. The Earthlink stuff in my Startup I've disabled because I don't use it. I was going to switch to Earthlink from Prodigy, my current ISP, but ended up deciding against it (Earthlink Internet is separate from Prodigy). I've also disabled the Anti Virus Program McAfee because I'm trying another and McAfee was outdated anyhow. Now I've got another Anti Virus Program checked, I'm in the 30day free trial period. I don't know what the Intranet program is either.

This is pretty much it. Thanks again.:)

14. Emtronics

Emtronics

Be careful running two anti-virus programs at once even though you have dis-abled one of them. You should remove the old one via the ADD/REMOVE icon in Control Panel or the Program's Un-install feature before you load another. In fact, some A/V's are kind of wierd to un-install. I had to go to the Norton site to get instructions on how to get rid of my kid's Norton A/V.

Back to your problem. While this may help, this is what fixed the WinME drive A access. RIGHT click on a blank area of the TASK BAR and choose PROPERTIES from the menu. Then choose the Start Menu Programs tab. Click the CLEAR button and OK out. This will clear the documents list in the start menu. If this becomes to full, Windows can do strange things.

15. toujours

toujours Thread Starter

I'll do what you say in the Taskbar. Thanks for letting me know about having two antivirus programs at the same time, I was wondering as to the correctness of this and the last thing I need is more problems with the pc. I'll post again in a few days to report on the drive A situation, mainly to let you know if any of what was tried made a difference.

Much obliged.

Toujours:)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!