Floppy drive format problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wkeel

I am running windows 98, the a drive wants to format any 3.5 floppy inserted. Once I format a new disk it will read and write on the disk but i can only use it on that machine. The floppy can not be read on any other machine. What could cause this?

I've seen that where the drive wasn't aligned quite right - can only be read on that machine. Probably time for a new one but can you read floppies from other computers on this one?

wkeel

No you can't. When you put in a floppy from another machine it tells you that you must format the disk.

<a href="http://www.accurite.com/FloppyPrimer.html">Here's</a> a good article on it (you have to scroll down a little).
Also mentions some utils you can use to test and possibly fix (sorry, haven't tried them and not sure how they work)

wkeel

Thanks, we downloaded the article. We will try that and let you know. probably won't reply till tomorrow. Thanks Angel.

Let us know.
Probably wouldn't hurt to just grab a new drive - they're pretty cheap nowadays. You might even have a friend/co-worker that has one or more just laying around.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online