floppy drive install problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

elizaj13

I thought I had this fixed but I was wrong. I caught someone else's response to the floppy drive that wouldn't work about the light being on all the time and I also had that problem. So I tried the solution which was correct but it still isn't working.

I have an old 486 with Windows 3.1 (haha) that I would like to get up and running for my daughter so she can get on e mail etc. It is a small hard drive but it is working. If I could install the mouse driver it would make it easier to manipulate but I need the floppy drive for that. I would also like to at least bring her up to windows 95 if not 98. Not sure if the HD has enough space. Any questions/suggestions.

It says "System Error" "not reading drive A" I have checked the ribbon, a ok. and two different floppy drives. many different disks

Any help would be appreciated. 486 less than 1 G

:rolleyes: Most old 486 computers have an option in the CMOS for either a 1.44 or 1.2mb floppy drive (5.25-inch drive). Check to be sure that CMOS is set to 3.5 inch or 1.44. Hope this helps.

elizaj13

Thanks for the reply. It is set up for a 1.44, I already checked that and the drive is enabled. Any other thoughts as to what might be wrong? Anything at all?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online