Floppy Drive not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nubuilder

My floppy drive was working fine before with a regular flat ribbon cable 24in. Then I switched it out for a 10in round cable and it didn't work. I tried turning the cable around, no luck. With the new cable, the light on the floppy drive is constantly on.

Any ideas? (other than using the old cable)

The cable is probably connected to the motherboard incorrectly as well. Look at your pin 1 orientation.

nubuilder

The cable cannot go in the wrong way. Both ends have a tab on the connector to tell you which way to plug them in. I'll check just in case. Give me until 11:45MT.

pugmug

Banned
With the light on all the time the drive is hooked up backwards.Try flipping the cable over that plugs in at the drive first,then flip at mobo if you can unless socket is keyed,then disconnect both and switch ends of cable at mobo and drive,repeate flipping at drive and mobo until you get it right.

pugmug

Banned
I hope the round cable is a floppy drive cable not a regular IDE cable.

nubuilder

1. switched cable, does not work
2. a IDE cable would not fit in a floppy jack

3. If the floppy was not seen by the computer, why is it still in My Computer?
4. Do I dare to uninstall the floppy, unplug it, plug it back in, and restart and hope it sees it?

pugmug

Banned
Your call on that.You can take the ribbon cable that works fold it into a rounded shape tape over it with electrical tape and it is just as good for air flow.

nubuilder

I know I could do that.

But could it help to uninstall the floppy drive and then reinstall it?

pugmug

Banned
As I said that is your call to try.If it aint broke dont fix it I would say.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online