1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kiwikqc, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Hi there, i don't know what went wrong when i cleaned my old computer(and when i mean old i mean like dinosaure age). I didnt use it for what? 4 years and it was sitting in my closet. Somehow i decided to give him a chance as network router so i had to clean it. I unplugged all the wires (exept the AT connector to the board which was terribly hard to unplug, so i decided not to damage it), and then i cleaned all the computer pieces, and the power supply also but this part went good because i just unplugged the fan, cleaned it, and replaced it. I replaced all the wires in that Small AT case.

I booted the computer and it would not start, i was like. Damn me! I have 2 HDD, one had bad sectors and was old, so we bought a second one. When I boot the computer, the Master drive (the old HDD) is not showing, so the Slave drive just pops in some seconds later, so i'm like, bah as long as the 4 go is still alive, it's fine. But then, the system tells me that non-system disk detected/ replace and retry.

I noticed that the floppy led is always active during that "boot" sequence. My guess is that something is not fine with it. And i cant access to the Bios so i'm kinda stuck here. Can someone guide me to the next thing i should try.

I might have a floppy drive on another comp that i could use, but i dont want to kill it too...

Anyway, thanks to all who would/will help me out.
    Bye!

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Sounds like you have the power to the floppy plugged in backward. Flip it aroud and give it a try. :D
    Oh and welcome to TSG! :eek:

3. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

haha i didnt think about it, ill give it a try :p

4. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Nop, there is only one way to plug it, the power cord is that half molex connector and well, there is only 1 way to plug it.

5. kodi

kodi

It will be the Flat IDE cable that is in The wrong way

6. 4steve44

4steve44

Yup its been awhile since I had that problem. I knew iit was something plugged in backwards :eek:

7. kiwikqc

kiwikqc Thread Starter

Ok now the floppy led is off when booting (woohoo) but now theres another problem (damn me...).

Well i went in the bios and searched for the slave drive (it wasnt showing up.).

So now i have the Primary Master drive that is booting, but the second is not and the system is looking for it. It searchs and then says I/O Error... Replace and press any key.

So is there a way to make the other drive show up? Or make the system skip the search for the second HDD?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice