1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy drive woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jac12, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

My floppy died and I replaced it with a brand new one and although the light never is lit even when booting up it shows up in Bios it will not work. If I turn the ribbon around the other way the light stays on all the time and I know this is not right. I keep getting the message to put in the right media and click enter whenever I try to copy something even though the floppy disk is already in there..
    Since the mobo is working great and I bought new ribbons for the drive could the place on the mobo that receives the ribbon have gone bad? Is there a way to check this? I know I don't really need a floppy because I use win xp pro and the cd will boot the computer but it not working is driving me nutz! lol :rolleyes:
    Thanks, Jo

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Jo, can you hook the floppy drive up outside of the case to see if it will read a boot disk floppy?

3. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

I just tried to hook it up on the outside and it showed up in BIOS and in my computer but when I tried to use it it kept saying put a disk in. I did and it still told me to put a disk in. I don't get an error message. This is the darnedest thing I have ever seen. I guess me and floppy's will have to go our separate ways. The only thing is I'm going to upgrade my computer with a new MOBO and CPU. I'll still be using the same case but that's. Usually when I do this I give the old one to someone who needs it however it has Win. Pro and it's mine and I don't want to go out and by me a new one. They cost a fortune built can only be used on one computer. I have a USB Floppy but it won't do for an install.
    I finished Hubby's new computer and I'm jealous of it's lightening speed. : :p

4. ~Candy~

Have you tried a new floppy disk?

Hubby's lightening speed.....sounds like my situation with me sitting here on my celery unit :mad:

5. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

I have tried a few new as well as used ones that I knew worked. I've tried new and used cables too. I've even put them in the wrong way on purpose and the light stays lit. I have taken them out of bios and system restarted the PC and it seems to find them when they are not even there. I get the message that windows found new hardware and has set it up for me. I look in system and sure enough it's there as well as in computer. It's so frustrating because when I build PCs I never have a problem with floppies. (A drive) problem is there is no physical floppy drive in my computer so how it finds it is beyond me :confused:
    Thanks, Jac

6. ~Candy~

Could be the actual floppy controller on the motherboard too. Try disabling the floppy controller in the bios too.

7. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

I have been thinking all along that it might be the controller on the mobo. If it is is there any way to fix that?
    Thanks, Jac

8. ~Candy~

Nope, that would be called a new motherboard. There are also some add in cards you can buy that will give you a floppy controller and usually hard drive controller too, I have had them usually in older pcs, so not sure if they still make them or if they are even available anymore.

9. ~Candy~

10. Jac12

Jac12 Thread Starter

The new MOBO and CPU come next month! lol
    I'm still trying to figure out what I want. Something high end middle I think. I don't want to sink a fortune on it because computers are like what I've heard about Chinese food (no slur or harm intended) . Once you build a new one a few months later your hungry for more power again lol.
    Jac

11. ~Candy~

Worse than that, as soon as you order the parts, before you get them, they are obsolete :eek:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice