1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy drive won't read

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wheeler420, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wheeler420

wheeler420 Thread Starter

i am trying to format my hard drive and start over but i can't get my computer to boot up. all it does is go to the start screen and after it recognized the floppy drive it sais please insert bootable media. and i do and it just sais the same thing again when i press a button. it acts as if it's not even trying to read the disk it just repeats itself immediately would it be possable to format my hard drive some other way than install ms-dos 6.22 and than from there install windows 98. but how would get it to recognize my floppy disk so i can install dos. i would appreciate any help

2. mtbird

mtbird

Are you booting the computer with the disk in the drive ? If so, and it's still not reading it, try another bootdisk. Yours may be bad. You can get one here.....

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Create it, pop it in the drive, then reboot.

Debe

3. wheeler420

it doesn't read any disk. i tried a dos disk and a windows 98 disk. but it acts as if it ain't even trying to read any disk. the light won't even light up and when i reverse the cable to the floppy drive the lights stay on. and the manufacturer said that way the cables are reversed but the computer recognizes the floppy on boot up and it sais it's installed.

4. Phreak5758

Phreak5758

You may want to check your bios and be sure you have Floppy set bootable before your harddrive

5. wheeler420

i've done every type of combination in the bios for the floppy and everything else and none of them work. do you think i might have to reinstall the floppy drive some how.

6. Phreak5758

Phreak5758

Hmm I personally have never had to "install" a Floppy Drive. They were always auto detected. One other problem I have had is where it Detected the floppy itself it wasn't listed as a 3.5 1.44mb drive it was listed as a 5.25.... Look at that and maybe that is the case. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

7. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

sounds like the drive itself maybe bad, when did it last
    work for you?

8. Phreak5758

Phreak5758

On that note I just remembred something I've seen cause that before.. Check the power connector on the back of the drive itself. If you have a spare one swap it out and try that.

Hoping it works

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice