floppy drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

scanfield

Can not boot to floppy drive. During boot sequence the drive light comes on momentarily and you can hear the familiar floppy clicking sound. Then the light goes out and the sys locks. In Windows the drive works fine. Can read from and write to the floppy with no problem. Have checked BIOS for anything strange and all applicable connections. My computer is a HP 4458 Pavilion with a propriatary floppy drive. The cable and connector uses 31 instead of 32 pins so I can,t use a universal floppy to troubleshoot with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much Sincerely S. Canfield

Do you mean you can't boot from floppy disk?

Did you try another disk, preferably using a disk from different retail package?

Since your drive reads in windows, it's safe to assume all hardware is OK.

TJ

And the disk is bootable? What files are on it....I suppose you would get the error message about it being an invalid system disk if that were the case. Check the BIOS for the boot order and set it to A - C - CD-ROM or something similar.

scanfield

Originally posted by scanfield
Can not boot to floppy drive. During boot sequence the drive light comes on momentarily and you can hear the familiar floppy clicking sound. Then the light goes out and the sys locks. In Windows the drive works fine. Can read from and write to the floppy with no problem. Have checked BIOS for anything strange and all applicable connections. My computer is a HP 4458 Pavilion with a propriatary floppy drive. The cable and connector uses 31 instead of 32 pins so I can,t use a universal floppy to troubleshoot with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks much Sincerely S. Canfield

scanfield

Originally posted by tjsudo
Do you mean you can't boot from floppy disk?

Did you try another disk, preferably using a disk from different retail package?

Since your drive reads in windows, it's safe to assume all hardware is OK.

TJ

scanfield

Boot sequence is fine. Floppy works fine in Windows. Have tried different floppy disks. Have even reformatted and created several different Startup disks. It doesn't matter what software I try. Same results.

Different disk you try was like another brand name?(to make sure the disk was not from the same lot.)
Also try start-up disk created by other computer, if you haven't done that yet.

Boot to DOS and check if it reads a disk.

In windows, windows device driver(bios) takes over the job from the bios stored in the firmware.
But in DOS, I think(not so sure), operating system uses command sets from the flash ROM.

If DOS can't read floppy, that means software(bios/command sets) in your flash ROM somehow got damaged, although it's extremely unlikely.

TJ

scanfield

TJ
Thanks for your response. I believe you have come the closest to solving my problem. Here is some additional info. When I create a startup disk from add/remove and run scandisk I get error messages every time I scan the newly created startup disk. When I try to boot to floppy you can see the drive light and hear the drive. It just doesn't read at all. You suggeste booting to the DOS mode. But isn't that the Windows shell? Please elaborate.
Thanks again S. Canfield

Hi,

Please forget about booting to DOS. I was confused about how DOS starts in win9x system. Unless you have DOS6.22 or win3, it doesn't prove anything.

But, congratulations! Finding out that one of your system file might be corrupted is a big step forward.

Did you try other start up disk?(created by other computer or downloaded from the web?)
If that works, you can be sure that problem resides in one of the system file.

Run system file checker.

TJ

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online