1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Irv K, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irv K

Irv K Thread Starter

I have an older system running win 95. When I try to read a disc in the floppy drive I get an error "drive not ready" the green light comes on like it is trying to read it. I tryed several discs that I know work in other drives. How can I check to see if it is a defective drive?

2. Monk_

Monk_

I think you just did. I would replace the drive.

3. Irv K

Irv K Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me. I was hoping a driver update (if they use drivers) would be a suggestion. I will get a used drive. one I know works and try that. When I replace the drive is there anything that has to be done, such as installing software.

Thanks Irv

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Before you toss it out, test it on the outside of the computer...take it out of the bay, hook it up on the exterior of the machine and pop a floppy in and try to access it......

And, no, you shouldn't have to do anything special....just install a new one....no software.....you may have to take a look at your bios setup to be sure it's showing up there as a 1.44 drive.

5. Irv K

Irv K Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Monk, but it's not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping a driver update (if it uses drivers) would help. I could try an old one that I know works. Is there any software to be installed after replacing it.
    Thanks Irv

6. Rockn

Rockn

No...there are no drivers to be loaded per se as it is a standard device and Windows has those drivers natively. Just pop in a new drive and go. Remember to plug all the cables in the same way that they were removed.

7. Irv K

Irv K Thread Starter

We tried a new drive and cable, still no luck. I will have to do without. Thanks IJK

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure you've got it hooked up correctly? When the computer restarts, does the floppy drive light come on, then go out?

Have you gone into the bios setup to determine if the floppy drive is being recognized there correctly? And also to be sure the floppy drive controller is ENABLED?

You're giving up way too easily! :(

9. Irv K

Irv K Thread Starter

Thanks for your help everyone. I had it to a repair shop, he installed the new drive and cable, also checked the Bios, as you suggested no luck. The good thing is he didn't charge me for the time.
    Thanks, IJK

10. Hanibal

Hanibal

Irv

i am just curious when you said he did not charge you for the time. i am to assume he charged you something?

considering new flopie drives sell for about 15$ canadian.....

just a thought really....

11. Irv K

Irv K Thread Starter

Sorry you misunderstood me, he didn't leave the new parts in. He installed them outside the case and checked the Bios to see if it was enabled, which it was, but still didn't work. My friend is going to use the computer as is. He is new to computers and wants to use it to practice on until he gets a better one.

IJK

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice