1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy! Give me a break...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dmoyers, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmoyers

dmoyers Thread Starter

It's been a while since I set up my home network. It consist of two desktops (XP Pro), laptop, Humax Series 2 Tivo, wired print server (DLink), Wii, PSP......My point is that I usually do not have any problems with simple networking. Yesterday, I went to a friends house and installed two wireless PCI cards, so they could share a internet connection. No problems. Then I was going to set him up a little in house file and printer sharing, and that's where the issues began. I couldn't make it work, no matter what I did. I used the setup wizard on the host pc and at the end it prompted me to save the configuration to a floppy. He has no floppy drives. All my machines still have them, either because of their age, or because I built them and raid drivers and such come on floppys. Why is their no USB support for this feature, or is there some way around this? two of his machines are running XP Home and the third Vista. I didn't even attempt to get the Vista machine on the network, just the two XP machines. All are hitting the internet via a DSL modem/ wireless router. Any help will be appreciated...Thanks in Advance, dm

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Each XP Home machine will run its own copy of the Network Setup Wizard, so even if you did create a floppy or any other media it wouldn't matter. I don't know about Vista--I assume that at least some versions have pretty much the same wizard.

Why a "host" machine? Some reason to not just have all the computers connect to the modem/router?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What are the specific errors or problems you are encountering.

Good first steps are to make sure you have the same workgroup name and that all computers can ping each other by both IP address and Name.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!