Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

floppy issues

756 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Rockn 
#1 ·
here's my problem i keep getting an error 40 failed floppy on boot up. i bought a new floppy and it does the same thing which leads me to believe its my on board floppy controller. so i guess my question is will an i/o slot floppy controller be a good buy for me or is there another alternitive besides that?? and also the ones that i have seen are ISA and i heardb that win xp doesn't like isa. does anyone have any info on that

thanks

jeff

#2 ·
I would go for the other controller if your on board one is bad. One question! Is the LED on the drive always on? If it is your cable is plugged backwards. SOme other readers also have a proprietary cable and pin arrangement so make sure you have the right one for your computer. If you have ISA slots I would reccomend testing your configuration to see if it is even up to running XP. www.pcworld.com/xpready

#3 ·
ISA slots?! I thought nobody's used those for a long time... they're so slow!

#5 ·
ISA slots are slow for things like graphics and networking, but modems and sound cards will not have a problem. You might be thinking of EISA or VLB slots being of the dinsaurocity era. Some newer motherboards still have an ISA slot. I am still on a couple of older PI 200 & 233MHz PC's and they work great with Win98 and old ISA cards. In most applications they seem faster than the newer 600MHz PC at work.

#6 ·
Does your floppy disc controller look OK in device manager and BIOS? Did you reseat the connector to the MB?

Lots of folks get on fine without one. You might consider starting a thread on the subject of operating without a floppy drive so you can evaluate your options.

If you are having problems booting with the floppy error message, set the boot sequence in BIOS to start with the HD and have it skip the floppy test if you have that option.

You might try removing the standard floppy controller from device manager and reboot.

#7 ·
Originally posted by cj_white
thanks for the advice. my cables not in backwards i've checked that out first thing, but the OS will read that the floppy drive is there but it will not read the floppy itself. i'll check out the stuff about XP

thanks

jeff
When you say that the OS will read that the drive is there, I'm assuming when you try to double click on it, you get an error message? It's not the boot up error message correct?

Have you tried taking it out of the computer, hooking it up on the outside, and see if the drive can be read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.