Floppy Mistery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

John Lutes

If I have my floppy drive outside of the case, it works.
After I install the floppy drive it stops working.

I get some error messages (when the floppy drive is installed. 1) Please insert disk into drive. 2) The disk in the drive needs to be formatted. 3) This disk can not be formatted..

If I take that same floppy drive out of the case and have it still connected to the wires, it works fine.

This happens with 3 floppy drives. One of them is brand new today.

If the floppy drive is in the case during boot up; it is not recognized by emergency boot disks, or virus boot disks, or partition magic boot disk.

If I remove the floppy drive and start the unit everything is recognized as normal.

Anybody seen this before?

It sounds like that its the connection thats causing the problem. Try reseating both the data cable and the power cable. If thats doent work try a different data cable and a different power cable, mayby the cables are damaged.

Check to make sure that nothing is touching the circuit board on the drive when it is installed in the case. Sounds like something may be shorting it out when you install it. Also check to make sure the mountong screws are not too long. One could be touching something inside to stop the drive.

It kinda' sounds like a grounding issue.
Can you humor me on this?
I'd try hooking up the drive the way you had so it worked (outside the case).Then I'd run a wire from the floppy cage to the floppy outside of the cage,and use mounting screws just to hold it in place.Then I'd try booting again and see if it recognises the drive as normal,or not.
If it reads as normal,it has to be something with the actual installed position of the drive.

John Lutes

Alright I'll check this out, and if I get a voltage or OHM reading after connecting the jumper wire, I'll try to find the short or bad ground.

Does anyone else have any input on this issue?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online