1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy Mistery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Lutes, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Lutes

John Lutes Thread Starter

If I have my floppy drive outside of the case, it works.
    After I install the floppy drive it stops working.

I get some error messages (when the floppy drive is installed. 1) Please insert disk into drive. 2) The disk in the drive needs to be formatted. 3) This disk can not be formatted..

If I take that same floppy drive out of the case and have it still connected to the wires, it works fine.

This happens with 3 floppy drives. One of them is brand new today.

If the floppy drive is in the case during boot up; it is not recognized by emergency boot disks, or virus boot disks, or partition magic boot disk.

If I remove the floppy drive and start the unit everything is recognized as normal.

Anybody seen this before?

2. Whitestar

Whitestar

It sounds like that its the connection thats causing the problem. Try reseating both the data cable and the power cable. If thats doent work try a different data cable and a different power cable, mayby the cables are damaged.

3. n2gun

n2gun

Check to make sure that nothing is touching the circuit board on the drive when it is installed in the case. Sounds like something may be shorting it out when you install it. Also check to make sure the mountong screws are not too long. One could be touching something inside to stop the drive.

4. John Lutes

THanks for the advise. Anyone else have an idea?

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

It kinda' sounds like a grounding issue.
    Can you humor me on this?
    I'd try hooking up the drive the way you had so it worked (outside the case).Then I'd run a wire from the floppy cage to the floppy outside of the cage,and use mounting screws just to hold it in place.Then I'd try booting again and see if it recognises the drive as normal,or not.
    If it reads as normal,it has to be something with the actual installed position of the drive.

6. John Lutes

Alright I'll check this out, and if I get a voltage or OHM reading after connecting the jumper wire, I'll try to find the short or bad ground.

Does anyone else have any input on this issue?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice