1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rjf, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjf

rjf Thread Starter

I have 2 computers, a 5 year old pavillion with xp home, and a deskpro maybe 2 years older with xp pro.

Each computer can format, write-to, and read floppies fine but won't read one from the other computer.

I thought floppies were pretty much universal. Why can't 1 read a floppy from the other?

Thanks.

2. sockey99

sockey99

rjf,
    This happens with age. Dirt, dust and shifting alignment of the read/write head makes the flp disc only readable in that drive. Floppy drives have not changed much in 25 years. I once bought 10 used flp's for $10 +s&h. ( 9 out of 10 worked, but only 3 or 4 would read the others disks.)
    Since both computers run XP with built-in CD burning I would suggest getting one or two cheap CD burners, if you don't have
    any now. Check out neweggdotcom.
    My 6 year old Pavilion developed this problem at age two.

3. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

I would support sockey99. What he is saying, bottom line, is why bother with the floppy. The last time I brought this up in a forum I was thoroughly "flamed". Many reasons were given as to why you cannot totally dispense with the floppy, none of them particularly valid. All software, these days, which originally required a floppy, or in particula,r a bootable floppy, can now be managed from a bootable cd. Fact is, whatever the expert considerations, I did not use my floppy for about three years and finally removed it.

4. sockey99

sockey99

For about $5 more than a CD burner, you get a CD burner/DVD player. Add another $5 to $10 and get a CD/DVD burner.Best upgrade $$ out there now.
    Storage:

Flp = 1.44mb

CD = 700+ mb

DVD = 4.0+ GB

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!