1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Floppy problems please help i'm stumped

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by torment1979, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. torment1979

torment1979 Thread Starter

Hi guys I'm new here and have a problem. I just built my own personal computer, this isn't my first and won't be my last build. My problem is: my floppy will not read any floppies, it is showing up on xp as working. my bios is setup right, i've changed the cables 3 times, swaped drives out. The floppy does work on my other computer fine. I now have no idea what to do next. Its not the biggest problem in the world but its bugging me. heres my system setup: motherboard: PT800CE-A ECS, P4 2.56Gig, 512mb, max: 60gig 7200, xfx mx 440, sound blaster live 24 bit 6.1, all sony drives(dvd/cd-rw, cd-rom, floppy) is there a jumper or a setting i'm missing? tried to reinstall drivers and etc... and still no change, also cleaned the drive. Help :eek:

thanks,
    Bill

ps: tried a search but didn't fine anything to answer my question.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What -exactly- happens when you try to read a disk.

Error message?
    Nothing?

Does the light on the floppy come on?

Some basic details such as this would help.

3. torment1979

torment1979 Thread Starter

it keeps telling me to insert a disk in drive A: the light comes on like it should and etc...And like i said this drive works fine in my other comupter. And if I swap my other floppy in it does the same thing. Do you think it could be my mobo? Now I'm thinking that I should've bought the Asus P4v8x-x mobo instead.

4. Derrick

Derrick

Is there any settings in the bios you may have overlooked?

5. smash

smash Banned

i had the same problem the cable in the back of floppy is in the wrong way even if it has a lump on it so it only goes in that way either take the plug off the cable and turn it around or cut the lump off or do as i did find an old floppy cable which doesn't have said lump.
    with mine i noticed the light on floppy was always on but xp said please insert floppy even though i had done so. let me know if this solves your problem:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice