1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peter kotar, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter kotar

peter kotar Thread Starter

hi guys, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i have an old compaq presario 5000 (uwave mobo, amd duron 750 mhz processor) . put the processor and some parts in a new system for a while. upgraded that one, then put the old compaq back together again. when i first booted it up i noticed the speakers crackled and popped a little. and the floppy light stayed lit. also had problems with windows ME freezing up. then started getting errors when shutting down.(some programs had to be shut down manually). floppy didnt work ,so i couldnt get to dos to do registry restore. switched floppy with one from other system, now the light stays on again. the one from the compaq doesnt work in my system either(get floppy error on boot) is it bad? how? also noticed one stick of 256 pny 133sdram wasnt recognized suddenly. isolated that one stick in system and it wouldnt post. replaced it and it boots ok. still have some problems with windows errors though. SO what do u think, how could i have a flaky os, bad memory , broken floppy all of a sudden. ??

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I'd suggest reinstalling the OS. 'ME' is just flakey...,period. ;)
    Also,if you have suspicions about a bad RAM stick,set it aside and use another to see if systems responds better.
    If a floppy light stays "On",it usually indicates that the cable is on backwards.Also be sure that it is being recognised in the BIOS.
    In fact,I'd have a real good look at your BIOS to see what is enabled and what is not...,it may have gotten reset to defaults during the changes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!