1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

floppy to bootable cd?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by racenutalways, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. racenutalways

racenutalways Thread Starter

Cleaning sure does find long lost crap you forgot you had...LOL

Ok, I found a copy of a program I bought like 6 yrs ago, it's on floppy. My laptop does not have a floppy dr, I do not want to buy an external drive just to use it once. This program will not load unless it's on floppy. How the heck do I make it bootable from cd, I've wasted a few disks already and read forums like mad, but, can't find a solution.

I have been told that mitchell on demand will only run from floppy?? Why would I not be able to copy to cd is beyond my knowledge.

Also, do they not make external cases for floppy as they do for HD and cd/dvd roms? I do have a floppy dr, but no ways to hook it up. I refuse to spend 50.00 on a floppy drive, unless I gotta...hehe.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What CD burning program do you have? Does it not have an option to make a Bootable CD?

Have you tried copying it the hard drive and running it or are you just assuming it it can't be run from anythign but the floppy? There are indeed some programs that can't be copied off floppies and run off anything else.

You can buy a USB floppy for $19.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821110005
    But if it must boot off the floppy then you need to make sure the laptop you have supports it.

3. racenutalways

i have used nero and sonic, alcohol 120 doesn't seem to support the file formats.. or I'm doing something wrong.

it looks like i will need to fork out some dough (EH!)

4. racenutalways

I have tried emailing the files to myself from a friends pc and running the setup.exe, but it says that it needs to load from A,B, or E drive.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure this is a bootable disk that you have?

Have you tried burning the contents of the floppy onto a CD as a DATA CD?

Is there more then one floppy disk?

6. racenutalways

yes i have tried burning as data cd, there 2 floppies.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You could use the dos subst command to make a B: drive.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats true, you could copy the disks to a CD, transfer them to the computer with no floppy and then use the SUBST command to assign a drive letter of A or B to a folder that contains the program.

9. racenutalways

Cool!!! I read an article on how to do that process, however, it was way confusing for a first timer. These were the instructions, "IF" I was looking at the right thing.

C:\subst x: y:\path where x: will be the new drive letter; and "y:\path" is the drive and directory you want to put at drive x:
    There is one switch you can use with it:
    C:\subst x: /D this undoes the substitution of drive "x:"

You can just type SUBST by itself to see all drives you currently have assigned. The only limit to how many drives you can SUBST is the amount of letters in the alphabet. Also you remember about the LASTDRIVE option used in your CONFIG.SYS file. Unless you set it in your CONFIG.SYS file, you wont be able to SUBST any drives after E:. Change it's value to any letter you want, up to Z:.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, thats right.

The command you need:

SUBST A: C:\Path

Where Path is the location of the folder with the files off the floppy disk.

To actually bring up the SUBST help you need to type:

SUBST /?

All that is best done from a Command Prompt. Go to Start, then Run, and type:

CMD

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice