1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fluctuating Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kierre, Jul 10, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kierre

Kierre Thread Starter

I just upgraded due to a PIII 450MHZ chip ceasing to function. I went to a PIII 650E chip on the Gigabyte GA-6VXE+ motherboard. I had the same motherboard with the PIII 450 and it was working fine for about a year, and that upgrade was from a micro-ATX motherboard for more slots and higher max on the CPU upgrade. When I took the computer in to have it checked for not booting they originally thought it was the motherboard and replaced it with a new one, but later found that it was the processor. So the Gigabyte GA-6VXE+ motherboard and the PIII 650E chip are new. I had just re-formatted the hard drive for a fresh start and installed the normal programs and Norton Utilities 2000. Under the Norton UT 2000 system benchmarks my PIII 650 was getting fluctuating benchmarks from anywhere between 50.0 to 301.0. The computer's performance also coincided with whatever system benchmark that came up running slow with low system benchmarks and normal with the high benchmarks. I thought at first it may be the voltage supplied to the CPU but the motherboard is auto detecting voltage. I feel that I'm heading down the same road as my previous processor, and while everything is still under warranty, I want this taken care of as soon as possible. Can you help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!