1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fluctuating connection speed anywhere from 1.0 to 54.0 Mbps.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BLR750TX, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BLR750TX

BLR750TX Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3027 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 1289 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238372 MB, Free - 116484 MB; E: Total - 476938 MB, Free - 130592 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0D695C
    Antivirus: PC Matic Super Shield, Updated and Enabled

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN

I live in a Class C motor home in an RV park. My friend next to me his connection speed is constant 75.0 even when he brought it over and set it down beside mine. I know that sometime a little knowledge can be dangerous and when it comes to wifi and adapters and such a "little knowledge" is all that I have. Is it possible to change the channel on this adapter? If so, how?

I may not even be close on this question, like I said a little knowledge can be dangerous. I just need help with this, you are my last hope.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. BLR750TX

BLR750TX Thread Starter

Let me clarify my question. I am not just wanting to know if it is possible to change the channel on the adapter.

I want to know how to fix my problem, because that is what is important. Whether there is anything to this other or not may or may not have anything to do it.

Thanking you in advance for your help in this matter.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You change "channels" on the wifi router. The channels are the frequency ranges which it uses to broadcast. You don't get a choice on the receiving end.

Problem could be signal related or more likely just the NIC being used. There is also the network type to which you are using (ie: A B G N AC), which can have a big effect based on your adapter type.

4. BLR750TX

BLR750TX Thread Starter

I am using the following adapter: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN.

I am not sure what the network type is. How can I find out? What can be done to fix the situation?

At first I thought that there might be something inside the RV that might be hindering the signal, but like I said my neighbor brought his laptop over and set it down beside mine and got the same signal strength here as he does in his place. So I assume that I can rule that out, am I correct?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the PC manufacturer's web site.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    HERE is the most current driver for Windows 7 64-bit for the Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300 wireless device.

Capture.JPG

Click the large blue button at the Intel site, then download and save it, then close all open windows first, then install it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice