1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fluctuating Connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ThedrunkenmasterX, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ThedrunkenmasterX

ThedrunkenmasterX Thread Starter

Hi I have very strange issues that I have been dealing with for the past two months now it all started in october I came back home from my brothers house after about 3 weeks of being there, and I noticed that I was getting huge random drops of bandwidth anywhere from 0 to 300-600 or really bad cases where it goes up to 1000 ping at random moments and it can be frequent or occasional, and when it happens when I am gaming or downloading it will stop almost like a desync and stop all further upcoming visuals and sounds until it moves after anywhere from 1-10 seconds then moves by really fast trying to catch up to what has already passed in game.

Now I have been on and off with my isp about this issue and they still have no idea what it is and I have replaced the modem which I get from my isp twice and I have replaced my net gear router with another one, I have checked the coax cables I have tried from different places in the house and I get 60-mbps from my isp and I am usually the only one on doing anything that takes bandwidth.

I know it goes away when I am at my friends or brothers house in fact it is a perfect connection at there places so I really have no idea what to do about this issues seeing I have also done a lot of trouble shooting from my isp and routers support trouble shooting.

I have a Windows 7 Professional that is 64 bit I hope this is enough to find some answers.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    1) Is this all with a wireless connection ?

If the PC is working fine at another location , then we can be reasonably certain the PC is OK

And its unlikely to be the Modem or Router

Which leaves the cables

If you connect the PC directly to the modem with a cable and test
    2) Does it work OK if using a cable just using the modem.

If so , then repeat with the cable connection to the router
    3) Does it work OK

If thats OK , then try wireless again

Trying to test if its a wireless issue or both

If its also bad on a cable connection direct to the modem, then you will need to discuss with ISP

4) Do you have a cable connection or are you using DSL via a telephone line ?

When changing between the modem & router connections to PC
    do a powercycle

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes. We have found in some instances you need to wait at least 15 minutes
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. ThedrunkenmasterX

It is a wired connection to my Netgear router model WNDR3400v3 and I recently tried connecting directly to the modem again sorry that I did not note that I have done this three times already and I still get the same results as when I am using the router, and yes I am on a cable connection I have not done a power cycle for a while if at all this month I will give that a try.

Okay I have given it a try and did a power cycle but my modem does not have a power button so when I plugged it in it turned on otherwise I did everything the steps told me and I saw good results for 10 minutes then I started to experience the same issues as before.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    as you are on an ISP cable connection
    Then its back to talking to the ISP

5. ThedrunkenmasterX

I have a feeling my connection might be getting throttled by my isp I mean it doesn't happen when I torrent and it doesn't happen when I play games like CS:GO or Warframe but in mmo's rpg's like Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile I tend to see desync more so in Path of Exile, is it possible that this is the case? because they keep telling me that the modem and router are reading fine and I am getting my 60 mbps (40 mbps before I updated because of this nonsense) but I get the desync even in the internet speed tests not all the time but when it happens it is frequent.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice