1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fluid damage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J33P, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. J33P

J33P Thread Starter

So here's what happened, I booted my Toshiba laptop. It booted up just fine, but the keyboard was inoperable. I noticed some residue on the keyboard that appeared to have been liquid at some point, possibly coffee, beer or even saliva (as I am a smokeless tobacco user). It was totally dry and if I had any sense I probably could have plugged in a USB keyboard and been fine, but NO, not me!
    I immediately shut down the computer, removed the keyboard and thoroughly cleaned it. I waited several hours, prior to learning that I should have waited several days, before replacing the keyboard.
    When I got the keyboard back in and plugged it into the computer, I started the laptop and the screen looked like a work from an impressionist artist with multi colored swooshes and squiggly lines.
    Of course I instantly turned the computer off.
    That was a month ago and I haven't touched the computer since! Something obviously shorted, but I don't know where to start.
    Any suggestions regarding how to determine which component may be damaged or how to proceed from here would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank y'all for this forum and the help provided!

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Remove the keyboard and look at the connector to the monitor. Perhaps it was loosened or got pinched when you put the keyboard back into the case.

If it isn't fixed, connect and external monitor and see how the image appears. (This is to determine if it is a hardware or a software problem. I suspect hardware and simply the result of the connector not being tight).

3. J33P

J33P Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your reply! Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem.
    I was very excited to think that it could be such an easy fix, but it didn't work.
    I removed the keyboard again and there was a bend in the ribbon cable connecting the kb to the machine. I straightened the cable and attempted to boot the computer with no kb attached. same result, looked like a windshield that had been hit by a rock. Spider web effect with garbled colors in the background. Reconnected the kb and attempted to boot again, same effect.
    I may not have been totally clear in prior post...when I initially removed the kb for cleaning, I put it in the sink, washed it thoroughly with water, dried it as well as I could, left it sitting in front of a fan for several hours and then reconnected.
    As I said before, it booted just fine prior to kb cleaning, the kb just didn't work. After cleaning with water, the garbled, scrambled effect occurred and my heart dropped because I really like the Toshiba machine.

4. J33P

J33P Thread Starter

I ensured the ribbon cable connector was straight, tight and secured.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. J33P

J33P Thread Starter

Yes Sir. It looks very similar to a couple of those pics. Would that prevent it from booting? And, how would the crack occur from plugging the keyboard in?
    Thank you for your input and any additional info you may be able to provide!

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    A cracked LCD shold not prevent booting, though you probably would not be able to see if the laptop is running. You could always connect an external monitor to check.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    To make sure it is cracked with the laptop switched off you should still be able to see any crack(s) in good lighting, or using a flashlight.

Is it possible the keyboard was raised up somewhere and could have cracked the screen when you closed the lid ?

As dustjay said though it should still boot even with a cracked screen.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice