1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fogetting Boot Sequence

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bustergrn, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bustergrn

Bustergrn Thread Starter

Hey gang,

I am working on a Gateway machine that needed a complete reformat to rid some virus activity. After complete reformat and reinstall of WinXP, everything seems to work just fine. Ran all updates/drivers (hardware and software), everything is now back to performing the way it should, except....

The BIOS is not saving the Boot Sequence. With every restart, I have to manually go back in and change the Boot Sequence back to the way it should be. It keeps going back to this configuration....

1. CD-ROM
    2. Removable Device (but is trying LAN Boot)
    3. HDD
    4. IBA 4.1.08 Slot 0240

....when it should be....

1. HDD
    2. CD-ROM
    3. Removable Device
    4. IBA 4.1.08 Slot 0240

What is causing this? I've racked my brain and checked everything I know to check. Could it be the battery? I haven't seen any battery warnings. Maybe the RAM?

Thanks for the help! :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the time correct? It sounds like the battery. Unless you are not saving when closing. Look right after saving and see.

3. Bustergrn

Bustergrn Thread Starter

Yes, the time is correct. After saving the new configuration, it boots up normally. Upon restart, it attempts to boot from CD-ROM, then LAN. I cancel the LAN boot and get a message to check boot sequence. CTL/ALT/DEL and enter BIOS to find the old configuration to be in place again. Battery 'seems' fine by all other means but for some reason the BIOS isn't saving this setting, even after being told to.

Thanks for the reply :)

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Have you checked the Gateway site to see if there is a BIOS update that addresses this issue?

Personally, I never set the BIOS on the machines I build to have the HDD as the 1st boot device. I normally set my machines up with the floppy as the 1st, the CD-ROM as 2nd, and HDD 3rd. The reason I don't put the HDD 1st is because if at some time in the future I need to run a diagnostic utility, I don't have to go back in and change the boot sequence. Not having the HDD as the 1st boot device will only add about a second or so to the boot time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice