1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fogger for Halloween

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by crcook84, Feb 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

I’m looking for a fogger device for Halloween. At first, we were thinking about one of those fog machines that uses glycerin. But, because it used glycerin, we were nervous about using it around our pets. Plus, it never stayed on and we wanted to use it in a caldron. I got myself an ultrasonic inhaler recently to deal with some laryngitis and noticed how easy it created a mist. So, I got on Amazon and looked for ultrasonic/atomizing foggers and got this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GX3H0TM/

It was only $10. So, even if it didn’t work, not that big of a deal (especially considering I probably wouldn’t get my money back because of the return costs).

After some experimenting, I figured out how to get a fine mist. The main problem is it shoots water into the air (I’m guessing a side-effect of how ultrasonics work). I found a splash guard that should help keep the water in the container:
    http://www.fountainsnslate.com/inc/sdetail/1197

But, before I invest anymore money into this project, is there a fogger that exists for around (or under) $25 that doesn’t use glycerin or dry ice and won’t splash? (Arguably, I think the mist maker and the splash guard I found are the cheapest I can go with this project.

In case anyone brings it up, I found the reptile humidifiers. I, also, saw how much they cost.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. RT

RT

I've used dry ice in a large "caldron", but it stayed out on the front porch....not bad but it's no fog machine.
    And it seems odd that Halloween has come and gone...perhaps you're planning for next October?
    :cool: :)

4. crcook84

crcook84 Thread Starter

We're a conservative family. So, it's not something we normally celebrate. (Plus, the purchase of candy was an issue.) However, things changed last year and we decided loosen up and buy some stuff at the last second. We tried getting a glycerin fogger. But, it wasn't doing what I was wanting it to do and it would have taken more parts than what we were wanting to buy at the time to make it work. So, with inspiration on how well my inhaler atomized water, I'm getting a heads start on research to see what all is available and what I can do with it.

The link is definitely very helpful. It appears that there's only 3 ways to make fog/mist: a mist maker/atomizer, a glycerin fogger, and dry ice. I think I may stick with the first two. They're safer and I'm not having to wait until the last second to buy it because of shelf life. I can see the atomizer being something I have to play around with to to find the right container with the right depth and getting it positioned just right in the cauldron. I'll probably look for some kind of plastic umbrella to try to keep the water in considering the fact that it splashes the water out to create the mist. I wonder if I can re-purpose our glycerin fogger to work with a ground fogger or if I need to buy one with a hose attachment.

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Probably won't know for sure unless you try it eh? ;)

6. RT

RT

Dry ice certainly has a limited "shelf life" as it sublimates rather quickly and can be dangerous if tightly contained (i.e. a dry ice pressure bomb :eek:!)
    I did that once with a mere 20 oz soda bottle and took off like a rocket...cool, but if the lid had hold would have exploded! (also cool but dangerous)
    Be very interested to see what design you finally decide on and if it meets your expectations.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice