Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Folder and file names are partly missing

991 views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I have been sorting out my folders and files on File Explorer on my new Windows 10 all-in-one computer. Some of them have it where their name titles are fully displayed while some others have the name titles partly missing on the right. Been trying to sort out how I can get the full title names back. What do I do?

Many thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hover the mouse cursor over the right side of the scroll bar that is 'over' the names until you see a cursor like this <-> then hold down the left click on the mouse and move the mouse to drag the scroll bar to the right (or left) until the whole of the longest name is visible, then release the left click button.

#4 ·
Oh I see, it's the name in the rightmost pane that is cut short ?

With that folder highlighted as in the screenshot press F2 and see if you can type in the part that's missing, as a test. I'm thinking 10 may only allow so many characters in the name.

#6 ·
It might be where I have had to look through deep files to recover from my old PC, and possibly some of folders and files lost some of the letters there.
That is likely it! There is a length limit to filenames, and that includes the path. They were likely truncated during that process.

Reactions: managed
#12 ·
Well spotted Mark. (y)

Stefan : you could copy the files/folders to somewhere with a shorter path first, say a folder in the root of C and then copy them from there to D, that would probably copy the full folder or file name.

#14 ·
In File Explorer right-click on C > New Folder, name it by typing Storage, then copy the folder/file into that folder, then copy it again from Storage to the D drive location.

#15 ·
Actually I'm not sure if doing what I typed in my previous post will make any difference, what you need to do is copy the actual folder or file you want without the long path included.

#19 ·
Yes you could be right there Mark, OP should be able to tell us.

I would just try both ideas from each of my last 2 posts, with one file or folder with a long path to it, just to see if either method works. If it is the path length causing the problem the first method, using an intermediate Copy, may fail but the 2nd one may work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.