Folder Corruption (Identity Crisis) on Flash Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lostkrow

I'd been ignoring an error on my work flash drive for some time ("next time, right now I've got to do something...") and it finally corrupted. The folder I use the most was affected completely, and now thinks it's not a folder anymore. The used memory of my flash drive hasn't changed, so I know the files are still there -- Windows just can't see them.

I already repaired the errors on the disk through the Windows prompt and again with chkdsk (hoping that it would fix my 'lost' folder, but it didn't work).

I then recovered many, but not all, of the files in the corrupt folder using some free file recovery software, but I'm hoping that if I could just find out a way to convince my confused folder that it IS in fact a folder I might be able to access ALL my files and folders again. Or, maybe redirect around the identity crisis folder and do some re-pointing in order to access the files.

I'm a brand new teacher and that folder has my entire freshman physics and chemistry curriculum in it so I'm very passionately trying to recover all of it.

The flash drive bounces back and forth between Windows 8 (work computer) and Windows 7 (home computer).

Thank you in advance for any ideas you have!

Triple6

Rob
It's just that there is no magic solution to this. Backups are critical, you could easily recover from a backup.

All you can do is try several free data recovery programs like Recuva and see if any others do any better are getting any files back, be sure you are recovering to another drive otherwise you will overwrite files.

You could also do a disk check on the drive, right click on the drive, go to Properties, then Tools, Check Now under Error Checking. But only do so after running a few data recovery programs as the scan has about the same chance of making things worse as better.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online