1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folder/File problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by desert emperor, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. desert emperor

desert emperor Thread Starter

Well i hope i m posting in the right place, this is my second post in here, unfortunately for the first one i didn't get any reply so i hope for this one i do!
    The problem in here is on a WD hard drive (USB connection), my root folder(for example d:\folder) this "folder" contains sub-folders and it's size is about 200 GB and now !! i can see it as file only! i can't open it so when i double click it'll ask me which prog i want to use to open and the size looks like 32KB!!!!!!!!!!
    What i can do?have i can solve this big problem?any solution?all my data are inside and i don't want to loose! and it's still showing that the HD is almost full.
    I hope to receive some answers in here and THX

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How and when did the folder turn into a file? Are there other folders on your machine like that? Did you run a disk check?

3. desert emperor

it's happennening on my external hard drive in fact! it happened like week ago but i didn't do anything after that ( i mean no delete,installation....nothing). The strange thing that i have another folder (100MB) which is still showing normal with it's sub-folders! But this one looks like a file with 32KB size (type = file)! i didn't run a disk check since i m afraid to loose everything...what u suggest?

4. desert emperor

By the way i forgot to mention maybe that first i lost "my music" folder which is a subfolder inside this folder! and i was so surprised since i didn't delete anything and for sure i'll not delete my music and after like 1 day this thing happened!

5. parvez9988

parvez9988

try for and recovery software.. i think it will work.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you have another folder on that drive that behaves normally, I'd suggest running chkdsk /f on the external.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!