1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folder Lock Software - Beware!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by captain43, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captain43

captain43 Thread Starter

Just wanted to let anyone know who may be considering encrypting or locking drives, folders, and/or files - stay away from the product called "Folder Lock". After installing it systematically destroyed my files when encrypting and unencrypting them. I lost over a years worth of work (don't ask me about backups) I have DVD's but in video not files.

Program sucks as far as I'm concerned. One issue - for encrypting you have to install to the drive you are encrypting, which means all files have to go to that drive. You need a huge drive as all files encrypted write to that drive - for anyone who uses multiple drives this is a problem.

If any one knows anything about folder lock destroying files and can recover those, please let me know. I already did an "OnTrack" data recovery scan but the files are not showing up.:

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

3. captain43

captain43 Thread Starter

Yes, There are some file remnants and some icons that show a 0 KB file size and do not open. I read the other threads on this program and these solutions/suggestions did not work.

It was unusual in that the first time I ran an encrypt and then unlocked the encrypted folder I lost about 10 files. I thought I may have inadvertently deleted when I set up the drive for folder lock. Then I ran another encryption and the next day unlocked the locker again, and 90% + of the files were then gone.

My drive shows available free space commensurate with the files lost.
    Ontrack data recovery showed none of the lost files but showed a lot of other files that had been previously deleted from the drive.

Program works fine with locking drives, folders etc... Also, Scrambles without a problem. Encryption lost files - it also took more than two hours for about 190 gigs of files to unencrypt - way slow.

I am of the opinion that these files are lost . Hoping to hear otherwise.
    Also, submitted to Tech Support last night and nothing from them as of yet even thought they claim that I should have received something by now.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, processing 190gigs of files would take a long time no matter what you used, think about it.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

In situations like these I love reading JohnWill's signature.

6. captain43

captain43 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response! And, that information helps me address my situation how??? I guess I'm no Einstein or I'd be able to see the solution to my problem within that response.

On the flip side, I would still appreciate any information from somebody who may have knowledge of this product or a recommendation to recover my files??? I'd appreciate that information. If not, I just want others to be aware of what I experienced with this product.

Also, still no response from their tech suppot! It must be a 190 gig question I sent them. It will probably take a long time - I'll think about it whie I wait.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/495669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice