1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

folder options for thumbnails

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dotty999, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    Whenever I try to view a downloaded image, usually from my flash drive, it only shows as list or filmstrip:confused: I've tried to set it to open as thumbnails but it doesn't save the instruction so when I try to view the images, I have to change the setting every time.
    Please can anyone help solve this as it's time consuming and it's killing off some of my brain cells:D

This is just one of the files but it happens especially in My Documents folder

Attached Files:

2. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

dotty999, Here's a fix that usually works.

Click Start>Run and copy and paste or type in:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Click OK.

Note that the spacing is important.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imagethumb.htm

Tufenuf

3. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    thanks for replying Tuf,:) I did as you said and got Dll Register Server in Shimdvw. dll succeeded however, I'm still having problems as you can see here, it had been set to List, I can set in to thumbnail but once re opened it reverts back!:(

Attached Files:

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

dotty999, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 17 (right column) and click on "Restore Thumbnail Views in XP" to download a .exe file fix. Save it to your Desktop or wherever you usually save your downloads and double click it to run it.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Edited to add: You stated that "Dll Register Server in Shimdvw. dll succeeded". Did you mean shimgvw.dll which is the correct spelling of the dll file that needs to be registered?

Tufenuf

5. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Is this machine a laptop?

My laptop machine does the same. I think it may be a battery or resource issue.

6. dotty999

dotty999 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dotty
    sorry Tuf! yea that's what I meant! some of my files open ok but when I tried the previous one in the pic I posted it still opens as list, I did a Search of the file and the below image is what I got when trying to save it, I'm not sure if this maybe is correct as other types of files are in My Documents folder although if I search for the image it still comes up as listed and not a thumbnail

no Dan it's a desktop

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice