1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folder path issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drnallen, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drnallen

drnallen Thread Starter

Hello... yesterday I was adjusting my themes in Windows XP using different icons. I saved one of my themes and then, perhaps coincidental, have been unable to view any of my files in the folders on the desktop. When I open the folder to view the files, the Windows Desktop Search application opens. This even occurs when trying to view files in my external harddrive. I can see that the files are still there because they show in the properties tab and all the correct commands are in that tab. If I go to the folder via Windows Explorer, I can access the file. I ended up deleting the theme I created and now the few icons I had changed no longer have any image with them. When I go to change the icon in the default Windows XP theme, I get the following error: "windows cannot find %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Icons\Connect.ico and the when I click ok it brings me to the default icons in the system. From there I can choose the icon without incident.

I have not downloaded any exe files and have done a complete adware/spyware, virus scan and they all came back clean. I tried solving this on my own by going to the Registry to look at the User Shell Folders and from a cursory glance all looks okay (however, there is a subfolder under the "User Shell Folder" called "new" that when I open shows the following: "(Default)" under the name "REG_SZ" under type and "(value not set)" under data. I do not know much about the Registry because I know it is dangerous to mess with unless you really know what you're doing. Hence, I do not want to do anything that could severely damage my system when it may be a simple issue to fix.

I did back up the registry keys and created a system restore point. Felt safe enough to utilize the Tweak UI program and the Folder Redirector but nothing is working. Please help so that I do not have to go thru a clean install. Thank you!

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

Start > Run > regedit > Navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell

on the Right Pane Double Click on "Default" value And Type "none" in the value data box without quotes

3. drnallen

drnallen Thread Starter

I suspected it was something as simple as that. I was just resigning myself to the notion that I may have to re-install the OS. Any idea why this happened so I can avoid this in the future?

Thanks again, you just made my day!!!

4. devil_himself

devil_himself

5. drnallen

drnallen Thread Starter

Thanks again.

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

Glad we Could Help

you can Use the "Thread Tools" at the Top to mark the Thread as "Solved"

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice