Folder Setting Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jspn85

OK, firstly, I know what is wrong. Not exactly sure HOW I did it, but I know WHAT I did.

In an attempt to change the icon of one of my folders, I somehow managed to change the default action when double-clicking on a folder. Instead of opening, it opens in a "Search" window. I can still access the folder by right clicking and selecting "Open" from the menu, but it's quite a pain in the ***.

Now, as far as I can ascertain, the way to change that setting is to go to: Tools -> Folder Options... -> File Types tab -> select File Folder in the list -> Advanced. When I select advanced, new window opens up and gives you a list of "Actions". The only action available is "find". Now, when I look go back to the list where I chose File Folder, Folder is also an option. (I have no idea what the difference between Folder and File Folder is, but I'm pretty sure that File Folder is the one that I've managed to screw up.) When I look at the advanced options of the "Folder", the actions listed there are "explore" and "open", "open" being the default. I'm assuming "open" is the option that I want, but don't know how to get. Now, going back to File Folders, to the right of where it lists actions, there are some options: New..., Edit..., Remove, Set Default. If I click New... it asks for "Action:" and "Application used to perform this action:". Now, I'm pretty sure the Action I want is open, but I don't know what to type in the Application box. If I just type open in the Action box and leave the Application empty, I get this: "The specified program could not be found. Make sure the file name and path are correct."

This is where I'm at...anyone able to guide me the rest of the way? Please?

jspn85

Awesome, that did the trick. Although, now for some reason, all the folders are opening in separate windows now, despite the fact that I have "Open each folder in the same window" option selected...any suggestions about that?

Hmmm... have you restarted your system since making the change in Folder Options? I'd try a reboot and see what happens.

jspn85

No luck, folders still open in separate windows. Any other suggestions?

jspn85

I might know the solution, although not sure how to do it. Same place where it lists the Actions (the advanced for File Folders), there's 3 check boxes below the list of actions to select from:

Confirm open after download
Always show extension
Browse in same window

Now, the first 2 are checked, but the last one is greyed out, not able to be checked...but it sounds like I would want that box to be checked...any idea on how to check it?

Well, phooey! Now you've got me stumped, my friend. Be patient and let's see if some other member comes along with some suggestions.

Luck!

~Eric

Try system restore, however if that's not an option, go to

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#209 Open each folder in same window.

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

jspn85

System restore did the trick. Totally forgot about trying that.

Now...as I mentioned in my initial post, I was attempting to change the icon of one of my folders, it was the My Music folder in My Documents...usually it has the folder with a music note on it, somehow, I'm not even sure when, it changed to a normal folder icon and I want to change it back to the one with the music note. (Lol, I know, I'm weird.) How would I go about doing that?

From THIS Microsoft's website:

You cannot customize the My Documents, My Pictures, and My Music folders. However, you can customize the folders they contain.

There is a little application offered by MS in the Powertoys area called "TweakUI". With this application, which is also handy for many things, you can rebuild the My Music folder icon. On the "Repair" tab (last one on the bottom of the menu) you can "Repair My Music folder icon" in the drop-down menu.

You can get TweakUI HERE.*

*This is a link directly to the download.

Luck!

~Eric

Tweak UI may not be necessary, try start > run > type rundll32 mydocs.dll,PerUserInit and click ok.

jspn85

lol, how do you guys know all this?!?? either way, that worked....thanks a bunch guys

In my case (I'm self-taught), it took years of screwing things up on my own systems to learn. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online