1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folder setting (single click) won't hold

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by prieb, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prieb

prieb Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

After reading through the posts, my problem seems so minor. But to me, it's extremely annoying!

A search didn't list my problem.

My folder setting (Open each folder in the same window) doesn't seem to work anymore. No matter how often I make the setting, clicking on a sub-folder opens that sub-folder in a new window. If I go back to the Folder Options window, it shows that the same window option has been chosen. I have no idea what I might have done to cause the changed behavior.

And yes, in the View tab of Folder Options, I did choose Apply to all Folders.

Can someone please tell me what I can do to get a folder to open in the same window?

Thanks

2. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    I came across a similar thing a while back. Go back into your folder options, and click on the 'View' tab. Scroll down to 'Launch folder windows in a separate process' and make sure it is unticked.

Let us know how this goes.

3. prieb

prieb Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, techkid...The 'Launch folder window in a separate process' in the View tab was unticked. I ticked it, unticked it again, clicked on apply and OK and then restarted my pc, hoping it might the setting would "take". Nope, it didn't. I still get a new window.

Do you have any other ideas? Does anyone? :eek:

4. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

5. prieb

prieb Thread Starter

Thank you, tufenuf,

But, alas, although a message appeared saying the Registry change had been made, it didn't work.

In my original post, I forgot to mention I have WinXP SP2 on my Acer laptop...and one other thing: Does the fact that in Folder Options I have chosen 'Use Windows classic folders' make any difference or offer a clue to anyone?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!