1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folder Sharing Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bobroosth, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

One of my clients just decided to replace two XP machines with two Vista machines. Didn't bother to ask about issues that might arise. The most serious is that one machine acts as file server to three others. Without getting into the problems of adding user accounts and making them match, the only way I found to make the data easily available was to put it in c:\users\public\documents. That works, but I would really prefer to fully control things. If anyones knows how to make ANY folder this public, I'd like to know.

In the process of trying things, I got c:\users shared. Now I cannot see a way to UN share it. What am I missing? Actually, I had tried to share c:\users\username\documents. That is when users got shared. I don't understand the logic.

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Why not just share a folder directly. You don't necessarily need to use a public folder. For example you could have a C:\DATA directory, share it and assign whatever permissions you want.

3. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

I think I did that. The folder proved visible from the XP machines, but their content was in-accessible. If there is a way to drill down to all the security settings as one can in Windows Server 2003, I might be able to get what I want. These are my first Vista machines. Been reading a lot, but have not actually set one up before. That reading primed me to have solutions for a number of issues, but I don't recall seeing anything about this.

4. jmwills

jmwills

Which version of Vista did he install? I hope not Home.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

6. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

No. This is an office of four people who will not willingly be bothered with login passwords. They literally did not realize the new computers they purchased might have some new version of Windows. If they had thought about it, issues of compatibility would never have occurred to them. The bought new HPs with full MCE hardware. They will NEVER use that. But they did not ask me what they should buy, just that I come in and transfer data and install software.

I guess I should not complain. They do pay their bills.

Thanks for the second link. Somehow I was so brain-dead yesterday that I forgot to look in Folder Properties. I just picked up Sharing from the rt-click menu.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The lack of logon password may also be affecting network access.

To change this setting:

Run gpedit.msc
    Go to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
    Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only
    Disable this option

8. bobroosth

bobroosth Thread Starter

Good to know. For my purposes, for this client, turning off Password Required for Sharing and making Everyone Co-Owner of the folder allows me to put the folders where I want.

Thanks for your help.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Glad it's working and that the idea of having no login passwords is what got you to solve the problem.

10. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

Where's gpedit.msc? I got a 'can't find' from 'run'...

I've got vista/hp.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Then add the run to your start menu.

12. TRS-80 vet

Hmmm...:confused:

Attached Files:

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Not at all sure of where that screenshot came from?

On mine, gpedit.msc is in the same place it was with XP Pro, in the \windows\system32 directory

What version of Vista do you have. I only have Business. Perhaps Home, like with XP, doesn't have a group policy editor.

14. TRS-80 vet

The screenshot came from my pc. When it couldn't be found, the first suspect was a different Vista version.;)

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So is it confirmed that the gpedit.msc file is definitely not in the \windows\system32 directory?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice