1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folder shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fitz, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Operating on Windows XP Home Edition, there is one and only one particular folder on my PC that closes about 15 seconds after I enter it with the usual "Send Error Report". I've no idea why that should be or what is causing it to close. I've run latest AV and spyware and no problems reported.
    Are there any other checks I can run to try and locate the cause?

2. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

hi!
    Could u please tell whether the folder is a system folder like the one created by windows itslef or user created and wats the content of the folder. That will help

3. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

It's not a system folder, but one into which I store some music downloads.

4. karthikvlk

karthikvlk

hi fitZ!
    its not a virus problem. Copy the entire contents to different folder. I think the problem is that some files in the particular folder causes this problem.

5. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

OK Ive managed to do that, although it was quite difficult because the folder would not stay open long enough for me to copy the files into another prepared folder. The secret I discovered was not to do anything with the "Error Report" but just to continue with the copying procedure before touching that.

6. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Drat! Exactly the same thing now happens in the "Copy of movies" folder. No surprising I suppose as I may have just cloned the rogue whatever it is that is causing the shutdown. Is there some diagnostic within XP, or form elsewhere, that I can run to discover what may be causing it?

7. Augie65

Augie65

You might try this:
    If you have both the orginal and copy folder, go to the copy folder and delete the files one at a time and reopen the folder each time until the problem doesn't occur. Then you will know which file is corrupt.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would run Chkdsk on the hard drive to see if there are any issues with the drive. You could also check the Event Viewer. It will show chkdsk logs and if there were any problems.

9. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Well I didn't realise that chkdsk was still around. It takes me back to the days of DOS and the black screen. I ran it, and it indicated in a very brief message that rapidly disappeared that there were errors but did not specify what they were.

I'm attempting to move files out one by one to try and isolate a culprit, but it's virtually impossible because as soon as I click on a file to cut and move, the folder shutdown begins... a very tedious business! Moreover, everything now freezes so I have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to End Task each time...

10. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I think I may have the problem under control, having moved potentially troublesome file(s) out of the folder. I'm none the wiser however about what may have happened.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice