1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

folder views

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xcons, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xcons

xcons Thread Starter

hey, I want to apply these following folder views to all users :

view > details

arnage icons > type

arange icons > show in groups ( true )

how would I do this ?

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

I don't know exactly which key it is, but you need to set explorer to the way you want all other users to be set. Then find the key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft for the explorer settings and export that key to a file. Then open each User Key and import over the existing explorer settings key for all users that have previously logged on and then do the same in the default profile and that will apply to all new users as they log in for the first time.

You could also include the settings as part of the group policy if you are using them, or have the ability to use them.

3. xcons

xcons Thread Starter

can you tell me exactly where to find that value within the registry ?

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

In w2k, I believe that it is HKCU\software\Microsoft\Windows\explorer\advanced.

I believe the subkey of that hold the specific settings. You can test by changing some settings and checking the key for changes. Export the Advanced key and import it back into HKey_Users\.default\software\Microsoft\windows\explorer. That subkey doesn't exist and you may need to create in and restore the saved key into the new subkey.

To test for new users, create a new test user and log in as that user, if the explorer settings are as desired, you are successful and you can then import that key again for all the user hives under HKey_Users.

5. xcons

xcons Thread Starter

hmm, so much for the registry, you can do the magority within windows. i've set the view I like, and gone to tools > options > folder options > apply to all folders.

Hope this helps anyone that reads this topic.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!