1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folders being added by my system

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by inspector3213, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inspector3213

inspector3213 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8173 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 229 GB (166 GB Free); D: 227 GB (132 GB Free); F: 232 GB (146 GB Free); Z: 1863 GB (919 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Foxconn, H61MXL/H61MXL-K
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hi, I Need some help, for some reason whenever I attach a new drive or pen drive to my Windows 7 system it automatically adds a new folder to that drive which contains three folders My documents, My pictures and My music, all of which are empty and I cant delete them if I do get rid of them they come back in seconds, so could anyone shed any light on this and how to stop it.

I am running a dule system PC, Windows 7 and Windows 10, this does not happen in Windows 10 and when I am in Windows 10 I can delete this folder from drives I have used with Windows 7.

2. Sponsor

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have to say I never heard of that.
    I must own about 4 dozen USB sticks and also 7 external hard drives. We have 4 Windows 7 computers in the house and the sticks and drives have been attached to almost all the computers. What is happening to you has never happened on the over 50 devices. The USB attached sticks/drives are all different brands and different sizes

My conclusion, it has to be some setting on your computer creating these folders but I have no idea where you'd begin to look to find the setting.

I'll do some searching to see if I can find out what you might have triggered to do this.

I found a thread from 2008 where the poster has the same problem. It wasn't solved. Don't format the stick because it did not help
    http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-auto-creating-folders.114375/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Plug in a USB stick
    Now look at this article
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10283/understanding-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

Open My Documents and then the hot link "locations".
    Is your USB stick listed there?
    If so, highlight it and select Remove.

Do the same for My Music and My Pictures.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  4. inspector3213

First Name:
    David
    Thank you for your reply and thank you for your further searches, I did wonder if it had anything to do with the automatic backup program I have on that system, but on saying that, I have the same program be it an updated version on my Windows 10 system and it does not happen there. Look forward to anything else you turn up.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Have you tried this?

Open My Documents and then the hot link "locations".
    Is your USB stick listed there?
    If so, highlight it and select Remove.

Do the same for My Music and My Pictures.

6. inspector3213

First Name:
    David
    Hi Liz,
    Thank you for your latest message, I have opened my documents folder and cannot find a link to the hot link locations, please excuse me if I am not seeing something that is under my nose but I am 73 and not too sure on all these terms. Could you spare the time to send me an idiots guide on this please.
    David

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm 70 myself. I don't use My Documents, My Music or My Pictures so those folders are always empty on the four Windows 7 computers in the house.

Did you go here https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10283/understanding-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/
    and look at the pictures?
    He tells you to type libraries in the search/run box then press enter.

Scroll down to the Picture with Documents library showing in the right pane.
    Below Documents library there is a link Includes 2 locations That's what you click on.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1191413