1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folders deleted for unknown reason - best recovery software?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aj327, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aj327

aj327 Thread Starter

Hi. I've been working on renaming all my music for the past few weeks using a program called Tag&Rename. I have over 350 Gbs of music so it's been quite the undertaking but I've made a fair bit of progress. Until all of a sudden in the middle of renaming some albums today I was shocked to find that all my albums from A through S were just...not there anymore. All my work had just vanished for no apparent reason. I had just deleted a redundant music folder when this happened and thought that maybe I had somehow deleted more than I asked for but there's no trace of the folders anywhere not even in the recycle bin. I did a complete search of my computer looking for Bob Dylan just to see if I had somehow put all the files in some other folder by mistake but no luck. So I downloaded a bunch of free undelete software packages and scanned my hard drive and they couldn't even find the missing files. It's as if they just vanished. Is there any software out there that can help me in my search, or does anyone know what could have happened? I don't mind paying up to a hundred bucks if I can just get my lost work back. I obviously need a program that will maintain my original folder structure since renaming files and folders and changing my folder structure is all I've been doing. I have most of the music backed up on another drive but it's all mistagged and disorganized. I really don't want to start all over again.

I'd be so appreciative if someone could help me through this.

Thanks very much!

2. Rockn

Rockn

If the software cannot find them as deleted files they are probably still on your hard drive and somehow hidden. Look up a tool named WinDirStat and see if it can find what is hidden.

3. Lex.Luthor

Lex.Luthor

The program that I use is called Recuva (re-coo-va). The program is a freeware program and can be found here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva

DL, install, uncheck the google toolbar installation
    start the program.
    check other,next, and not sure, next and then start.
    the program will run and search for deleted files.
    A dialog box will come up and will tell you of the deleted files that the program has found.

Any "green" file is a file that can be recovered and restored to a location that you can use. "Yellow" are somewhat recoverable and "red" is not.

You can also use this program to permanently delete file from the trash bin, do this by checking the box at the top next to "filename" and right click on 'secure overwrite checked.' Once you do this, they are gone for good.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are no "redundant" music folders. The one you deleted was linked symbolically and was the same one as any other with a different address. You delete one, and both disappear.

Recovery software is your only hope, but much may have already been overwritten and thus, gone permanently. Any file you do not have backed up is a file you should expect to lose. All hard drives will fail if used.

5. aj327

aj327 Thread Starter

I couldn't find the files using windirstat either. Nor could recuva find them.

What I meant about deleting redundant folders was that I was deleting folders that I didn't need because I already had the same album with a higher bitrate. It's what I had been doing for the past several weeks with no issue. I don't understand what happened this time. I'm an avid computer user and pretty much know what I'm doing and I've never seen anything like this before in my life. One minute all my stuff is there and the next 200 GB of music is just gone, nowhere to be found. I'm completely baffled by it.

6. aj327

aj327 Thread Starter

I don't know if it helps but I was in the middle of deleting a huge album when all this happened. A flac album - and I got a message asking if I was sure because it was too big to put in recycle bin and would be lost. I clicked yes but it just sat and thought about it and processed it and processed it until after about 2 minutes I just clicked cancel because it seemed like something was going wrong. That's when I noticed over half my stuff was gone.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice