1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folders in Network Places

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by UBAGirl, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

We have a small business network setup running Windows XP. We have 4 computers that are all networked. I am the administrator. Connected to my desktop is a Seagate 160 gb hard drive (F) we use for backups. We also have another unoccupied computer which we have another 180 gb Seagate hooked up to. Each month I swap the F drives.
    I have created shared folders with subfolders under them on each Seagate drive for the users to back up to. When I open up Network Places there are so many folders listed, it looks as if some are duplicated. My question is when you create a folder with subfolders and share them on the network do they automatically show up under Network Places? For example, if I create a Folder Called "Marty's Documents" and then create 2 sub folders "Marty's Docs" and Marty's Drawings" they all show up under Network Places and it gets confusing for all users to choose which folder to pick. Anyway to streamline what shows up under Network Places?

2. Jubjub

Jubjub Guest

Why not use the "Map Network Drive" facility in Explorer > Tools then you can assign a drive letter to the network connection you want for each computer and avoid using Network Connection\Places.

3. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

Thanks. If I do that do I still leave the folders under Network Places or delete them?

4. Jubjub

Jubjub Guest

Well, when you're sure it works ok using the "Map Network Drive" facility I think you could delete the folders showing under network places. I mean you could always recreate them again if necessary. As far as I know they're only pathways anyway and deleteting them won't delete the actual document folders they refer to.
    You could always test that by making a test folder on another machine, setting a path to it in "My Network Places", checking it connects ok and then delete the connection. If the new test folder is still there I reckon you're safe.

5. UBAGirl

UBAGirl Thread Starter

Ok thanks for your help. I will try that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice