1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Folders Missing from Start menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by romlinsys, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

I need some help.. Been racking my brain for hours trying to figure this out..

We have a Windows 2003 Domain and just got some new Windows 7 professional machines..

The problem I am having is that the Accessories, Startup, and maybe other folders are missing from the start menu..

If I login as the Domain admin I get them.. The user is setup as a local machine admin, but they are missing..

We are not blocking anything in Group policy on the domain that I can see.. I have looked numerous times..

Also tried following other suggestions found on the net, but everyone keeps pointing to the folder being hidden..

This is not the case..

Is there a domain level policy that controls this??

I haven't found it if there is..

Any help will be greatly appreciated seeing I have 15 new PC's that need to be configured..

Thanks in advance..

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Are the folders here: C:\Users\<yourAccount>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ? If the folders are there, then it should show up in the start menu.

I think when you create a new user, the settings are copied from "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu"

3. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

Yes the folders are there, but they don't show up unless logged in as domain admin

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Check the permissions. It should have full permissions for SYSTEM and <UserAccountName>

5. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

I just checked and they have full control set for System, Domain User, and local admininstrator..

Thanks for the suggestions..

Keep them coming..LOL

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Then it seems to be missing out the limited users. Add the <UserName> into the security permissions list. And give it read permissions.

7. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

The user is already on the list with full control..

I tried adding the DomainUser group to the list with full control and it still does not show up..

I am stumped with this one..

Thanks for the suggestions..

8. romlinsys

romlinsys Thread Starter

Also I just looked at the Group policy editor on the server again and all the options for the Start menu/Task Bar under Administrative Templates are set to Not Configured...

Even the Windows update options are set to not configured, but I cannot run Windows update on any Win 7 machine if logged into the Domain..

Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice