1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

follow up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Links2, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Links2

Links2 Thread Starter

This is follow up to a problem I had the other day...
    I managed to complete the format of my c: drive, and load up Win98se,as well as,my chipset drivers,sound,network adapters,etc., but I cannot get my computer to accept my display adapter...i have had the system for 2 years now without a problem...I decided to clean everything up and re-install everything(except my other data drive, which is running XP)...I also have another operating system on my other partitioned drive...every time i attempt to install the drivers for my Asus Nvidia Geforce 7700 deluxe video, and then reboot, when it gets past the logo(booting up) i stall for a little bit and then it reboots itself over and over again...I have to boot up in safe mode and then remove the adapter in device manager to be able to boot back up...can anybody shed a little light on this situation for me...
    Also,why does it take a huge amount attempts(sometimes)for a system to be able to find and accept drivers from a disk(which contains the specific drivers(this happened to me when i was attempting to install my network adapter)...it eventually took, but it also took a ton of perseverance to get the job done(and plain stubbornness,I guess)....

Oh yes, I no longer have the option of choosing which drive i want to boot to,any ideas on this? I have looked in Bios setup to try to change my CMOS configuration,but I am not too knowledgeable on the BIOS,CMOS area so I do not like to "dick" with it...

Thanks again

If you need anymore information, please feel free to ask...

Thanks in advance

2. Hairy

Hairy

maybe while you're in safe mode would be the time to update your drivers....

following the instructions in the "read me' for the driver update?
    I always turn off anti-virus to update drivers.....

"I no longer have the option of choosing which drive i want to boot to,any ideas on this?"
    ......yep, you formatted the "C" and rewrote the master boot record, which held the info for your dual boot information.

I'm pretty sure fixmbr is what your after:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkd_tro_ldau.asp

maybe easiest to do a "Repair "install of XP....

3. Links2

Links2 Thread Starter

I will check it out

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice