1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Font changed, cannot change back??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by faith_destro, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faith_destro

faith_destro Thread Starter

OKay. So Today, all of a sudden, I notice that the font on EVERYTHING on this user account is completely different. I don't know exactly which font it's changed to, but I know it's different from the standard trebuchet/tahoma/lucida console that everything else is using. It's changed on my browser, any applications I run (notepad, etc) and pretty much everything else.

The fonts haven't been changed when I look in the appearance settings, nor the settings of the individual programs. Trying to set them to another font appears not to work.

Scanned with Avast! and Spybot, neither found anything. The problem only exists on this user account and not either of the other two accounts.

I checked Startuplist and nothing unusual was found on there either. What would do this? And why can't I change it back?

I'm still somewhat new to XP....Anyone have any ideas?

2. pllobell

pllobell

Use System Restore to bring your computer back to two days ago (or the most recent point before today).

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

3. faith_destro

What about programs and files I've added/modified in the last few days? Will I lose those?

4. pllobell

pllobell

You'll most likely lose the programs, but your files (documents, pictures, etc) should be fine. If you're concerned copy them onto a floppy or usb drive.

5. faith_destro

Yeah, I tried the system restore and it's just not an option. I would lose WAY too much stuff and I can't back anything up right now. My last restore point was sunday, and I've been on abit of a downloading spree since then. (I check EVERYTHING with avast! before I ever install it, so if it's something I downloaded that made things change, it's something darn sneaky.)

Aside from SystemRestore, is there anything else I can do? Has anyone had this happen before?

Basically it's just the font, and it's not a bad font, actually starting to get used to it. If my only options are lose a bunch of programs, or just deal with a different font, I'll pick the font.

As long as there's nothing else going on, (like other things changed, or something) than I guess I'll just deal with it.

6. pllobell

pllobell

You could manually go through your font settings:

Right click on desktop> properties
    Appearance
    Click Advanced
    Go down the list and confirm your fonts. The defaults I have are Trebuchet MS for the title bars and Tahoma for everything else.

7. faith_destro

8. pllobell

pllobell

Sorry I missed that. If you can't be troubled with reinstalling the couple of programs you downloaded to do a system restore, I'm out of options.

FYI Avast wouldn't find that a program would change your fonts, it would detect any viruses in the programs.

9. faith_destro

It's not that I can't be bothered. It's just that some of them are things that I would lose data from (games, etc) and were hard to track down as it was. Without the installation files, I may not be able to restore them.

Something else I just noticed...When I try to rename or delete a folder, it'll say "renaming or deleting this folder could cause some programs not to work. Are you sure you want to do this?" To my knowledge, it never said that before.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice