Font commands in DOS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

InterKnight

Hello, everyone.

I was just curious as to whether or not there were commands available in DOS that manipulate the font size. In my present course at the college I attend we will be working with DOS extensively for PC diagnostics, and my sight is quite poor. Is there any way to enlarge fonts in DOS?

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, everyone.

Take care.

What operating system, or is it "pure DOS"?

Windows NT/2000/XP only have a DOS emulator that runs under Windows, while pure DOS may have some available options under the Mode command, depending how the graphics are handled.

InterKnight

I believe that they will be using pure DOS in the classroom, whereas I only have the emulat9ion version here at home on XP.

Try the Mode setting, but it may be less than helpful with modern display adapters?

Syntax:

MODE n

MODE [n],m[,T]

Options

n - should be one of the following expressions:
40 - 40 characters per line
80 - 80 characters per line
BW40 - 40 characters per line, black and white (color display adapter)
BW80 - 80 characters per line, black and white (color display adapter)
CO40 - 40 characters per line, color (color display adapter)
CO80 - 80 characters per line, color (color display adapter)
MONO - monochrome display adapter
m - R or L (shifts display right or left)
T - Displays a test pattern used to align the display.

Mode bw40 used to give double sized (but rather "blocky") characters on older display adapters.

InterKnight

Thanks for the responses so far, kiwiguy.

I wish I had more experience with DOS, but it's all a learning process...so although I do not have experience (I am intermediate, I guess you could say) I will soon enough.

I tried to work with the mode command (whole on my XP machine because I saw there were options for it in the emulation version), although I'm not sure if I am doing it right.

For example, if I type in mode /?, there are a lot of different settings including display settings. The display line shows this:

Code:
Display mode:     MODE CON[:] [COLS=c] [LINES=n]
This is on the XP machine; I have not yet had a chance to work with pure DOS in the classroom, so it may be different.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much for the help as I have searched through quite a few Google results to some, but not much avail.

Thanks again for the help.

Take care.

It does not work on my XP PC either, remember as above Windows NT/2000/XP has no underlying DOS.

Only a DOS emulator which may not offer the full range of working "real DOS" functions.

InterKnight

So, in a pure DOS environment, do you think that something such as

Code:
MODE COLS=40 LINES=100
would possibly work? I'm just using 40 and 100 as generic values, however. I'm not sure what the best number set would be. Also, what do you think the CON[:] refers to? I know that the [:] is to set some sort of parameter, but that is about all that I know. (Sorry...I'm DOS illiterate to some extent)

Thanks much for the support; it's greatly appreciated.

Take care.

CON: (the ":" is optional in some environments) means Console, being the keyboard and screen.

I would have doubts that they will be using pure DOS, and that the modern graphics adapters will emulate a color VGA under the pseudo DOS environment in use. It doesn't here.

Google is your friend when looking for DOS commands and information.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online