1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Font size

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by *Gina*, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

For some reason the fonts are all small on my computer. The name of the desktop items on my desktop, those fonts are all small too. I went to properties and changed the font size to large, and nothing happened, their still small. I even changed the screen resolution on the 'properties', their still small. Here is what I am talking about:

[​IMG]

See how small the fonts are? Someone please help me!!!!

2. t bone

t bone

hi...give this a try

rt. click on the desktop...select properties>appearance>advanced...

for item...drop down the menu and select icon...change the font size to whatever is good (my icon size is 32 and the font is set at 8 that's where i like em)...then...ok>apply>ok

other items in the dropdown like menu, message box, active title bar etc...will have the font style and size option also

3. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

Ok thanks, I will try it when I get back to work tomorrow!

4. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

The icon size changed, but the font size of the names under the icons remained the same teeny weeny size. Please help!!!!

5. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

The icon size changed, but the font size of the names under the icons remained the same teeny weeny size.:( Please help!!!!

6. t bone

t bone

what size did you change the "font" to?

repeat the process and go with a larger number...make sure your increasing the "font" size and not the icon size.

try going to a pretty large number to see if there is a difference....you can always decrease it later if it's too large, that's if we can get it to change at all.

side note...i see you have a pink taskbar. do you have some sort of desktop enhancement prog. running ?
    that may be conflicting....try disabling it if the above process does nothing.

7. Spider111

Spider111

Hi, Gina.
    I changed my font size using following procedure:
    desktop right click>>properties>>appearance>>font size>> extra large fonts>>apply>>ok
    Good luck.

8. t bone

t bone

i believe that's what she did at the begining with no success :p

9. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

t bone, I have tried all the font sizes and nothing works at all. Even the font sizes in certain progams are permanently small. PLease help!!!!!

10. t bone

t bone

hmmm...are you using windowblinds or some other prog. that changes the look of windows?

11. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

Hi t bone! No special programs which would cause the fonts to shrink. I think the computer guys at my job are responsible for this, and they're probably laughing their butts off.:(

12. t bone

t bone

as an experiment try, opening internet explorer>view>text size>largest....does anything change?

i'm begining to run out of ideas....clean up your cookies and temp. files, scan for spyware/malware and virus'....defrag the system.

the reason i asked about windowblinds was the pink taskbar in your desktop shot...i didn't know pink was an available color without such a program.

oh... 1 more thing to check...rt. click desktop>properties>desktop>customize desktop>web...
    is there a check in "lock desktop items" if so uncheck it...ok>apply>ok

if so now try to change text size.

did this problem with the text size just start happening or has it been messed up for a while?

13. *Gina*

*Gina* Thread Starter

Hi t bone!

I can't find that option (lock desktop) on my Windows NT.

14. t bone

t bone

oops...sorry, thought you had xp, guess i shoulda asked from the get go :eek:

is this a work computer where you need special permissions to change things?

how bout that first suggestion in my previous post did the text change in ie ?

i'm not really up on NT i'll have to do some poking around on the problem.
    in the meantime clean up the cookies, temp. files, scan for spyware/malware and virus'....defrag the system

15. t bone

t bone

hi again...

i found this ms.com for NT

Adjusting Screen Font Size

Depending on the capabilities of your display adapter, you may be able to choose between two sizes for the Windows system font.

You cannot choose a system font larger than the two choices offered, because many dialog boxes would then stretch off the screen, making some items, such as OK buttons, unusable. However, if Font Size choices are not available, or if the font still isn't large enough for you, consider using a commercial screen magnification utility. Such utilities provide pan and zoom capabilities to enable you to view a virtual desktop that is larger than your actual display.

The system font is used to display information in some programs and dialog boxes. The system font is always available, even in low-memory situations and critical error conditions, so it cannot be scaled. You can select either a large or small font appropriate for your display settings.

To choose a large or small system font:
    In Control Panel, choose the Display icon.
    On the Settings tab, select either the large or small font option in the Font Size list.
    Choose OK. You will need to shut down and then restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Note: The Font Size feature may only be available for high-resolution displays. You can change the screen resolution using the Settings tab in the Display properties. However, not all monitors and display adapters support high-resolution mode.
    -------------------------------------------
    i'm not sure if this is a rehash of stuff you already tried.

i found it here about 3/4 down the page under the heading "Features for People with Visual Impairments"

as u can see you may be limited by the monitor your using and NT itself
    i found some other info but it called for messing with the registry and the directions were very vague

sorry i can't be of more help :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/508193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice