1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fonts go missing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lyn Patterson, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyn Patterson

Lyn Patterson Thread Starter

Windows 98SE MS Office 2000

Have recently installed MS Office 2000 - a full install. Sometimes when I am working say in Word, and using the Help Section, a message comes up saying a particular thing is not installed and to put in the appropriate Disk to install.

After I have done this I noticed that my fonts have nearly all disappeared leaving only a very scrappy selection. I did a Font Repair (TweakUI) once and used GoBack another time so I can usually get things back to normal but I am wondering what is causing this and if it can be avoided. I have only just put it together that it happens every time I have put the disk in to install something that was for some reason not installed during the original install.

The missing fonts are missing in every application, not just MS Office.

Thanks

Lyn

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Lyn.

Here's my suggestions:

1. Clean up your PC. Things don't sound good:

www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm

2. Do the troubleshooting steps for Word at:

www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm

3. Put your Office disk in and do a full install. That means hit the top icon in the list of apps, and choose RUN ALL FROM MY PC.

If you don't do all the steps, I can't be sure any one step alone will work, so I'm trying to be thorough. If you don't do them in order, they may not work right to help you.

:)

3. Lyn Patterson

Hi Dreamboat

Looks like you are an expert on MS Office ! Lucky for me ! Will follow your advice though I think my computer is 'clean'.

I think the problem may be the original install I did. I had trouble with it as it did not seem to go the way of other installs.

I used Add/Remove, put in the first disk and it came up with the setup: D:\SETUPACC.EXE. I installed that and after a while (!)realised that only Access had been installed. So I went back to Add/Remove, clicked on Browse and came up the list of the other 8 setups. So I had to install them one by one. The I put in the second disk and I think that was pretty straightforward. I hope.

Is there another way I should have done this?

Thanks

Lyn

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Doesn't the disk run automatically when you put it in?

It should not need to be "pushed".

But actually the same thing happens to me, and I think I use setupspc or something like that. There IS one that has the whole suite.

My fear is that you may not have installed all the tools, etc.

5. Lyn Patterson

If I put the disk in cold, it doesn't run. If I go through Add/Remove, up comes the D:\Setupacc.exe only and I then have to install each of the 9 setups individually. I don't think at this stage there is much to be gained by re-installing if I am just going over the same ground again. Things seem to be working as they should and I think I had better get more acquainted with Word before taking drastic action.

I did follow up on your recommended settings. Thanks.

I have been doing my brochures and stuff in Corel and WordPro so am anxious to come to grips with Word and the best way is to start doing!

Thanks for the advice.

Lyn

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Well, if you have any layout problems, etc., let me know. I can do just about anything in Word.

:)

(I think setupacc comes up first 'cuz it's first alphabetically.)

7. Lyn Patterson

Yes, took me a while but I realised they were listed alphabetically and that I had to install them ALL !

Am trying to copy one of my brochures into Word using tables. Has about 23 small photos, a map and text. Will certainly get back to you if (when?) I run into problems.

Thanks for the offer.

Lyn

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Ubet. I work at home doing this stuff. And I don't mind helping people out quite a bit sometimes...especially if it's something I know how to do. I miss it, ya know? Practically all I do is Excel and Access and testing VBA stuff. I miss using Word.

9. dk518

dk518

Used to be that I would lose fonts when I was squeezing RAM. Of course this was quite a while ago and am talking about Win95.
    I am always starting things and whenever my coworkers watched it would alarm them. They were "chickens" only running one thing at a time, whereas I start anything up at a whim.

DK

10. Lyn Patterson

Dreamboat

Think I have found the answer to the missing fonts problem. I am trying my brochure in Publisher as I can position the graphics more precisely and the same thing happened, but this time there was an error message: the file msvisi.ttf is missing or corrupt.

I re-installed Publisher anyway and then tracked down the KB article 201188 and it explains that Publisher can only cope with 600 fonts. I had over 1000, so I put the excess in a separate folder and re-booted.

So far things seem ok.

Are you on top of Publisher as well as Word?

Thanks

Lyn

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Hi, Lyn.

No, not really much experience in Publisher, but I do have it installed, and I've been troubleshooting all the other apps for 5 years...

I'll always be happy to try whatever...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice