1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fonts not loading

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rimzan, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rimzan

rimzan Thread Starter

hi,

i have a problem with fonts well i use to download fonts for newspapere reading i usualy go to font folder and click install thats all.but i can find the install in font folder now so i use to copy and paste the fonts, in that way fonts are there in the fonts folder but i can accsess them from words or to rerad newspapers

any idea please
    thanks in advance

2. hewee

hewee

You can not just copy and paste fonts. You have to install them.
    If the install is gone the see this thread.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=138221
    See post #4

Also you can use this way to use a font without installing but it is best to install if you want to keep using a the same font.

GOOD Way use other fonts without installing them

A trick I ran across you all might be interested in.

Every font you install sucks up physical memory. Unless you have physical RAM to spare, I wouldn't suggest loading too much more than your commonly used fonts. So what do you do with the fonts you want to keep but not install? Put them in ANOTHER directory ("fontsOther" so you can find it beside the Fonts folder). When you want to use a particular font in a document/graphic, go to your "Other Fonts" folder, double-click on the font you want to use (and KEEP THE FONT OPEN), and launch the application in which you wish to use that font. The font should show up in your regular list as if it were installed the "normal" way. When you're done, you can close the font preview window and Windows is none-the-wiser.
    This also fixes the problem of too many fonts. All fonts are stored in the Registry, and the Registry has a limit of 64k for each key...meaning 800 - 1000 fonts are all that can be stored without a shareware font manager program.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171129

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice